1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Usb connection problems

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by gexxy, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gexxy

gexxy Thread Starter

Hi! I don't know much about computers so I would appreciate any advice given.A few days a go the little message bubble down the bottom of the screen that tells you when it recognizes a device or not that you have attached via usb went off a few times even though i wasn't trying to attach anything(there was however a cable attached to a front port) so it stopped after a while and I didn't think more about it.

Now a couple of days later I have tried to connect my phone and nothing happens not even a message bubble or that noise you hear when trying to connect.Next I tried my external drive,the light comes on and you can hear it working but same as the phone it won't work.when I connect my printer up to any of the usb ports it works fine as does my mouse.Thats all the info I can think of atm,btw just having a quick look around as this is my first time here it looks like a great website :D
    Thanks Guys!

2. w7pro

w7pro

Did you unplug a device without properly exiting? Sometimes when this happens, it can short out your USB ports. In any case, you might want to go in your control panel to see if it detects your ports at all. If it does, try doing a Windows Update to see if you need to update your drivers. These step might be of some help.

-- Ryan
    Windows Outreach Team

3. gexxy

gexxy Thread Starter

Hi Ryan,don't know if I unplugged a device without properly exiting.I went into control panel/device manager/usb controllers,right clicked on each one,clicked properties and it said the devices was working properly.Also checked for updates on windows update but they said there were none.

4. w7pro

w7pro

That's very odd. The only thing that I could think of is that the USB ports could be fried, at which point they would have to be replaced.

5. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

An issue with autorun maybe?

• Go to Control Panel -> Programs -> Default Programs, and select Change AutoPlay settings, or Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> AutoPlay
    • Make sure that the checkbox is selectedat the top. If it is;

• Type service.msc in Start Search to run Services console.
    • Locate Shell Hardware Detection, and ensure that the “Service Status” is Running, and “Startup Type” is Automatic.
    • If not, start the service and change the Startup Type setting accordingly.

Still a problem and all of that is already normal? Do below:

• Open your Start Menu and type in 'regedit', navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

• Make sure that NoDriveTypeAutoRun is set to the value of 91 (Double click on the name to change it).

6. gexxy

gexxy Thread Starter

Thanks Laguna! I tried the first 2 and they were both ok but when I typed in regedit and then clicked on the registry console tool a small black window flashed up on my screen and then quickly vanished as fast as it appeared,I tried several times with the same result.

7. LagunaGTO

LagunaGTO Account Closed

When you type in regedit and press enter, what happens? (Don't click anything)

If a window never pops up (or a window pops up and disappears), you seem to have an OS issue. Something is either corrupt or you're infected. How long have you been running Windows 7 and does anything else seem inordinate?

8. gexxy

gexxy Thread Starter

alright I got it to open but when I open policies there is no explorer only attachments,nonenum and system. I bought the computer with windows 7 on it around november 09 and have had no real problems with it except a couple of months ago when i went to shut it down it wouldn't and would go to a blue screen with writing on it.It done this off and on for a couple of weeks then stopped.

9. gexxy

gexxy Thread Starter

I may of found some info to my troubles or maybe a new problem :confused: I clicked start/devices and printers and there under devices on "my name-pc" was a yellow warning triangle.when I checked it out it said there is a problem with the driver for teredo tunneling psuedo interface,tried reinstalling the driver but it said it failed.

Lol I got no idea what it is or does.

10. huggie54

huggie54

hiya Gexxy what security have you installed,eg firewall,antivirus?

11. gexxy

gexxy Thread Starter

Hi there Huggie I have the free zone alarm firewall and avast anti virus.

12. huggie54

huggie54

Don't know if this will help in your situation or not. Try enable IPv6 networking in the advanced settings tab under Firewall Main Zone Alarm.

13. gexxy

gexxy Thread Starter

well it got rid of the teredo problem thanks! still got the usb problem though.

14. lunarlander

lunarlander

How many USB ports do you have ? To rule out the possibility that it was fried, try using other ports.

BTW is this a laptop ?

15. huggie54

huggie54

dug this up,
    I've been experiencing the same problem with usb storage devices for the last few weeks and have visited numerous forums discussing it. After having no joy I decided to take a look around my system folders and have now got these devices working again. While looking around I discovered 2 points of interest:

1.In C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository I had two folders named "usbstor.inf" but each one had a different set of numbers attached to the end of the folder name. - could this be where part of the problem lies?

2.When i looked in my C:\Windows\inf folder i discovered the usbstor.inf and usb stor.pnf files were missing - this definitely had to be an issue.
    Once I discovered these anomalies, I proceeded to copy the pnf and inf files from the most recently updated usbstor.inf folder to C:\Windows\inf. I then went back to the update driver wizard, pointed to the inf folder and what do you know but they all started working again.

As yet I have not had any problem with other usb devices so I don't know whether this solution applies to everything. However I have noticed that most people are having this problem with devices that register themselves as a mass storage device, including most new printers, cameras, etc. Basically anything with on board memory tells windows it is also a mass storage device, so maybe this is what is causing the problem with those particular usb devices.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977395

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice