1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB connections

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (Not Computer-Related)' started by Priestess1981, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Priestess1981

Priestess1981 Thread Starter

kids want to know if you ca use a USB cable to connet a netbook to the desktop PC to use the desktop CD drive to install games on the netbook, which does not have a CD drive.

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

No. USB cannot be used to network PCs.

Copy the contents of the CD to a flash drive, use that to install the software on the netbook. This may not work for copy protected CDs.

Another method would be to use an ethernet crossover cable to connect the 2 PCs as a network.

An external USB cd/dvd drive is the best solution.

3. IsolatedSnail

IsolatedSnail

If you have a network setup such as a wireless router at your house and you want to be able to access your CD drive on your netbook that is also on the same wireless router you can actually share the drive. I do this from my newer desktop to my older when I need to install software that is on a DVD since my older computer doesn't have a DVD drive on it. If you can tell me what operating system you have, me or someone else here will gladly walk you through networking the drive.

Are you running XP, Vista or 7?

*Quick note, you might want to list the games they are trying to install as well as the specs of your netbook. Netbooks aren't meant to be gaming machines. High end games such as Call of Duty and World of Warcraft are most likely NOT going to run on your netbook.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921218

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice