1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Controller is in State of Failure or Not Installed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by homebrewdr, Sep 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. homebrewdr

homebrewdr Thread Starter

I'm having a problem with my laptop recognizing my new mechanical keyboard.

It connects when I try it randomly sometimes, but if I unplug it and plug it back in, it won't work, even if I restart the computer. I've been looking for a method to get it to work consistently.

The first day I used it, it worked fine. The problem only started occuring after I had shut down and restarted hours later.

When I use the USB troubleshooter, it says "USB Controller is in Failing State or Not Installed". I have had a mouse, an external sound amp, and a drawing tablet all connected via USB which all function properly.

What I've tried:
    I've reinstalled and updated all of the listings under "USB Controllers" in device manager. I've scanned for hardware changes repeatedly. I've changed power settings through properties of device manager to not auto shut off usb devices. I've also ran sfc/scannow a few times as that has helped me in the past.

The seller of the keyboard's only advice was to use USB 3.0 ports. All of my ports are USB 3.0. I have an Alienware 17r4 laptop that is approximately 1.5 years old and still under warranty.

Note: For some reason, one troubleshooter of windows stated that "usb composite device" would not function properly with usb 3.0 port. However I've been told that can be ignored because 3.0 are backwards compatible.

Just kind of confused here.

Any advice? Thank you

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  2. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

If it's new and not working, I'd return it for a replacement or refund.

3. homebrewdr

homebrewdr Thread Starter

Thing is, it's working on my older laptop. I still have about a month to return it if I decide I can't fix this. For now, I'm trying to see how to fix that message about usb controller in state of failure or uninstalled. Even when I unplug all usb devices, and restart, I still get the message in the troubleshooter. Im thinking maybe if I fix that, it'll fix, I just don't know how.

4. SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Same problem when temporarily booting and running a different Operating System from a Live CD/USB on the newer laptop?

A Live CD/DVD or USB flash drive contains a complete bootable computer operating system (OS). When you boot a computer from it, the OS loads into, and then runs from memory instead of a hard drive. This allows you to run an OS without installing it or making any changes to a computer's current configuration.

To create one, download an ISO file containing the OS you want to use, (such as Ubuntu, Slax or Zorin), then use something like ISO Recorder to burn it to a CD/DVD or USB key.

Now boot your computer from this disc/key and your computer will be running that OS instead of the one on its hard drive.​

When you're done testing, simply reboot your PC from the hard drive as you normally would.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What is the make and full model of the keyboard

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1217100

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice