USB Controller went AWOL

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dickster

Overclocked my system a bit too much, and ended up having to reformat. It's now a new install of Win 2000 Pro. But for some reason I don't have my USB. It doesn't show in device manager or Everest. Have done a system file check, loaded the newest Via chipset drivers, and anything else I could think of, including show hidden files in device manager. Did a file search and the USB .inf file is there. But no controller. Everything worked fine before the reformat.

All virus and spyware scanners are up to date and show clean and all windows updates installed, and have had the WMF patch installed since it was released.

So, any idea where my USB went? As always, any help appreciated.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Check in the BIOS setup, is there a chance it got disabled in there?

dickster

Been there. Can't even find it listed in bios, usually in advanced chipset features.

dickster

Update: Mark this one solved. A bios flash got my USB back. But knocked out my raid array in the process. LOL

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, the RAID may need to be rebuild after the BIOS upgrade. Of course, you may just have to go in and "find" it again with the RAID BIOS. I haven't upgraded the BIOS since I've installed the RAID, I'm a chicken! :D

dickster

Well, I shouldn't have. A reboot gave me disk failure. Now on compleyely reformatted raid setup. I just love computers. :)

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If you had done an image backup with something like Acronis True Image, you'd be able to restore the boot partition in minutes, that's how I do it. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online