1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB data stick problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mikbnay, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikbnay

mikbnay Thread Starter

I just bought a 8GB data stick and used it to transfer about 3GB of files (images and video) to another PC. I have plugged the data stick into the new PC and find it only holds 334MB of data. Have I done something wrong? All I did was copy and paste the folders from the source PC to the data stick. The transfer took a long time. It's a brand new data stick and I'm using Windows XP.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How did you transfer 3GB if it only holds 334MB? :confused: What else aren't you telling us?

3. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I think they mean there is only 334MB used space on the stick.
    Perhaps they will confirm/deny this ?

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Did you buy the USB from a reputable source? I seem to recall that some on-line sellers were overstating capacity to give a false impression of bagging a bargain?

5. techkid

techkid

First Name:
    David
    Hmm...

To help clarify this, I'd like you to provide a screen shot of the drive properties. Go to My Computer, right-click on the USB drive (usually called 'Removable Disk'), and select 'Properties'. It should come up with a screen like the attached picture.

Now, to make a screenshot, press Alt+Print Screen (this produces a shot of just the message concerned, rather than the whole screen view). Then, open Paint (or any other image editing software you use), and select Edit > Paste. Save the file, then when you next post a message, scroll down to "Manage Attachments" and follow the prompts from there.

If you could do this on both computers, that would be helpful.

Attached Files:

6. mikbnay

mikbnay Thread Starter

I've managed to transfer all that data successfully. This time I copied and pasted the relevant files to a Documents folder on the USB drive, instead of just pasting them to the drive's icon. It only did half the files at first, then I had to copy the other half, but it all worked in the end. Don't know why the glitches; maybe too many files/folders to transfer in one go.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!