USB detection problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

majorshake

i just got a new mp4 player for xmas today and everything was installed and ran fine. however the second time i plugged the usb cable into the pc it was not detected by the computer. i am using windows xp and i just got all the updates i dont have. everytime i plug the player in, the screen lights up, but the computer cannot detect it. this has happened to my graphing calculator also. i also reinstalled the drivers for the usb ports too. the player i am using is creative labs zen portable media center. any help is appreciated.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
There are no required drivers for USB ports in 2K/XP, so I'm not sure what you were installing. Try this.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- cut here --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

I get the following error message when trying your solution.

The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Frust Beg said:
I get the following error message when trying your solution.

The specified file is not a registry script. You can only import binary registry files from within the registry editor.
Don't put the --- cut here --- line in the file, only the stuff after the line.

majorshake

i tried those steps above, and it did not solve my problem. i'm hoping the problem isnt with the cable, or the player. are there any other possible solutions?

Hi! I'm interested in following this topic as I am having the same problem, too. I have an XP desktop and all of a sudden it stopped recognizing our iPod and digital camera when we connect them via USB cable. This seems to be a problem - I've been finding others with the same issue. I haven't found anything that helps yet, including a system restore to an earlier date. Our office computer consultant is stumped too - he's researching this problem. If we figure something out, I'll let you know.

Yah, me too. Do a saerch on "Ipod" and you'll find lotsa people having problems.
everyone wanted one for Christmas, now if only they worked...

Do a surch for Usbstor.pnf, Usbstor.inf, and/or Usbd.sys files. Then check the permissions. Make shure you have admin rights. If OK Go to Divice manger like JohnWill stated. Make sure ALL USB DEVICES are unpluged (printers!). Once you restart; run a registry cleaner tool. Then open device manger and start pluging in each device one at a time. You should see the divices come into divice manager one at a time after device manager refreshes. However if you have Cable or DSL comeing from your modem to your PC via USB port you may have a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 isochronous problem. This is cause by one USB port useing all the resorces of the USB controler allowing little if any resources for other divices to come on line or work at all. Some printers can cause this as well. This was a service pack update a wile ago. Just another ideal.

majorshake

well i have tried all that, and nothing has helped. the player i am useing is the creative zen portable media center. i contacted creative via email and they told me almost the same thing that JohnWill did. I replied back saying that it didnt work and they still havent replied. (2 days ago) I'm really hoping i dont have to call them and i really hope i dont have to send my player back in to them : ( if anyone finds a solution please post it here. i'm sure many people could benefit from it.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you tried it on another computer? This will narrow it down to either the computer or the player.

majorshake

i only have one pc, but i plan on taking it to a friends house and trying it there.

Howdy folks...

Just to add my 2 pennies...

Do you have any other USB devices connected to this pc ?

I think downloading Itunes 6 from the Apple site cured my problems, will see if it lasts...

majorshake

yours is working now? i wish mine worked : ( i have tried other usb devices. my usb mouse works in the usb ports, but, my texas instruments graphic calculator does not work. it has the same problem that my mp4 player does. :*( creative still hasnt responded to me :mad:

majorshake

its working! all i did was charge the player fully. i dont know if thats what made it work, but i charged it all day cause the battery was low, then i plugged it in to see if it would work, and it does! maybe this will help the rest of you but i dont think so.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online