1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Device Descrptior Request Failed Issue. PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by liberty610, Jul 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liberty610

liberty610 Thread Starter

Hey guys... I am about ready to pull what hair I have left out of my head. Here is my setup:

-MSI X99A Pro Carbon motherboard
    -Intel Core i7 6800K prcessor w/Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 cooler
    -32 gigs of DDR 4 Quad Channel ram
    -Windows 10 Pro
    -One SSD 250GB Intel drive for OS
    -5 internal HDDs for storage - All Sata connected
    -Corsair Graphite 760T case.

I do not over clock. I have the ram overclocked in the BIOS using XMP to 3000 speed, but that's it.

Here is my situation, and I am baffled and feel super deflated over this mess as I run a small project studio for video and audio work and this is causing me to fall behind on projects.

I am getting constant on screen pop up notifications that a recent USB device isn't recognizable or 'has malfunctioned and windows doesn't recognize it' along with constant USB connect/disconnect sounds. I just built this custom PC this past week and everything seemed fine for a couple days, and then this started.

When it does this, I go into device manager, and I get a yellow exclamation mark under the USB list that says 'Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed). I have hit google search and tried every single suggestion I could find including the following:

-Blowing all the dust out of all the ports, although i doubt that was an issue because the case and motherboard are brand new.

-Going into device manager, and disabling or uninstalling the device that is giving the error. It pops right back up with the USB connect sound, and then disconnect sound.

-I've tried using the internet for the latest drives while in device manager, and it shows they are up to date.

-I have gone in device manger and under Human Interface Devices I selected all the USB options, went to properties, power management, and disabled Windows from turning them off to save power.

-I have tried to completely unplug my computer from the outlet and leave it sit for a few minuets. Plugged it back in, rebooted, the issue is still there.

-In frustration and being flat out desperate, I reinstalled Windows 10. That did not prevent it either.

-I disconnected all USB devices, rebooted, and even with nothing plugged back into ANY of the USB ports, it was still doing it. Last night it was constantly doing it as if someone was plugging in and unplugging a USB device every 3 seconds.

After I reinstalled Windows, it was still doing it. I disconnected my USB mose, my USB keyboard, and replaced them with a single USB wireless mouse/keyboard antenna. It stopped doing it for a good while. As I started to install software and get eveyrhting back to where I needed it, it started doing it again. Very random, sometimes it does it every few seconds, some times it takes several minuets before it will do it again.

I have updated the bios from MSI's website to the latest version. When i reinstalled Windows 10, the first thing I did was went to MSI's website and downloaded and installed all the latest drivers.

The only other thing I read on some forums was a possible setting in the BIOS. Under USB settings, I have the option to enable or disable the following:

-USB Support (currently Enabled)
    -XHCI Hand off (Currently Enabled)
    -UHCI Handoff (Currently Enabled)
    -Legacy USB Support (Was Enabled, I tried setting to AUTO and it did not fix the issue)

Should i change one of these settings? Does ANYONE have any other suggestions I could try? I have been at this for 14 hours now and I can't figure out how to stop this madness.... I am desperate!

Thanks in advance for any replies! As I am typing this post, it keeps doing it! UGH!

Attached Files:

2. liberty610

Let me add, that while this is going on, NONE of my connected USB devices are effect. They all work normally.

3. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    It sounds like your motherboard may be at fault here. My guess is that one of the ports is malfunctioning (or they all are). I'd look into the warranty status of the motherboard and contact MSI about it.

4. liberty610

5. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    Okay—with that, I doubt that there are that many faulty motherboards. It must be a compatibility issue with Windows 10, and the only thing you can do is contact MSI about it. I'm not sure what they'll tell you, but maybe they're looking into it. Who knows?

6. liberty610

That's kinda where I am at as well. the last few replies are from me, and I am the one who turned off windows sound doe the conect and disconnect devices. This does not appear to make any of my USB connected devices to stop working. So it is just an annoyance right now.

7. liberty610

Sp after calling MSI today, they asked if I had installed all the latest drivers and the latest Bios, and stated that since I did so, that the board had to be RMAed. So Newegg has shipped me a new one with over night shipping, and I am to return this one to them for my refund. I'm kind of shaky on keeping this as my board of choice right now, as I have found yet another thread on MSI's website with this issue, as well as several newegg reviews that are starting to come in now. I will give it one more shot, and then I will be off to see a new board.

8. Saturable

Saturable

First Name:
    Mark
    Good luck to you. I hope you can get a refund if this board ends up with the same problems.

9. liberty610

Newegg is pretty good about returns. At least so far with me they have been. I have not had to do it to much. But I have the new board in, and so far so good. It's to earlyt o tell yet though, because the issue on my last board didn't start until a few days in.

The guy I talked to at MSI yesterday was very good though. Apparently we have made so much noise about this issue on the forums that, after I called Monday, they started pulling boards out of the warehouse to see if they could copy configurations and trigger the issue. And I got a direct email address for the tech guy I talked to, so I can keep him informed and not have to explain myself to a different person every-time. So out of all the headaches, at least they have take notice now...

Saturable likes this.
  10. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    At least as you are using the same board, all you have to do is simply reconnect all of your hardware and boot.

If it continues on the new board, I'd seriously consider changing boards even though that would require a fresh install of the OS.

11. liberty610

Yea, that was a plus about it. So far (knock on wood) I have not had any issues with this new board, and I am pretty sure it is a newer version of the board because the user manual was printed different and the latest BIOS was already installed on this one. So far, so good.

12. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    Good to know. Glad they stepped up and resolved the issue.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1175041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice