USB Device Not Recognized W/ Blackberry

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

SpellBoundSunset

Hi all. I've been having a problem with my laptop for weeks, really 2 months now where I get an error message stating that a USB Device has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize the device whenever I plug in my Blackberry Storm. When I connect the phone, it goes into the initial charging mode, I hear the *ding* that signals a connection, but the device doesn't show up in My Computer, Device Manager, or Blackberry Desktop Manager.

The problem began in January when my download happy niece downloaded a nasty virus with some game she was playing. My whole system crashed repeatedly and I ended up having Vista reinstalled after backing up all my important files to my external hard drive. Everything is working fine until I plug in my Blackberry and I start getting error messages about my USB device that pop up even when nothing is connected to the computer. Every other USB device that I use works fine as well (an external hard drive, a wireless mouse, and a jump drive).

I thought maybe it was the phone so I sent it back to Verizon, twice now, after troubleshooting with Blackberry Desktop Manager, Verizon software, and the phone itself. I have the same problem as I did back in beginning of February.

I'm using an HP dv2000 laptop with Windows Home Premium.

These are the messages I get:

• Windows message: USB Device Not Recognized. One of the USB Devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it.
  • Desktop Manager message: Device connected (PIN): None

So far I've tried:

• another USB cable (both work fine on other computers)
  • a different USB port (not connected through a hub, but there is one listed in device manager??)
  • removing all usb devices by running device manager as an administrator and clearing out everything & by using DevManView
  • another USB device to see if computer’s USB port is working (Yes)
  • another BlackBerry (3 different ones)
  • another computer (Blackberry is recognized fine @ work)
  • different versions of Blackberry Desktop Manager
  • Manually installing Blackberry Device Driver (Windows would never install it)
  • Updating Blackberry Device Driver
  • Updating unknown USB driver
  • Using Windows Update to search for another driver
  • Using windows tool to check for errors in update installations
I don't know what else to try and I'm in need of help. Thanks in advance!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online