1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB device not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mehmood115, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mehmood115

mehmood115 Thread Starter

My USB flash drive is suddenly stop working, when I insert in the slot it detects but it says Windows is not recognized the device and in the device manager it shows Unknown Device. I have tried this USB on many computers and on different operating systems but the problem is same. I think its builtin plug and play driver is corrupted. I have my important data on it and I have to recover it. Please help me!!!!!:(

2. pip22

pip22

"I have my important data on it and I have to recover it"

Never, ever store important & irreplaceable data on just one drive, and especially if it's a flash drive as they are more prone to failure than hard drives (and unlike hard drives you don't get any warning). Flash drives are designed for short-term storage only (such as transferring files between computers).

It's not a driver issue if the same thing happens on other computers, because the driver is built-in to Windows (Windows XP and later) and they can't all be corrupted. The fact that the fault is constant on all computers proves that it's a faulty flash drive or it's simply worn out and needs replacing. Buy a well-known, reputable brand (Integral, SanDisk etc).

Normally I would recommend using some file recovery software to retrieve the data on it, but that requires the system to recognise the drive.
    I can't think of any other way.

3. mehmood115

mehmood115 Thread Starter

OK thanks for your opinion next time I will be careful

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice