1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Device Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cirkus, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cirkus

cirkus Thread Starter

I plugged my external hard drive into a computer at work and it was not recognized. So I tried another computer at work and it still had the problem. Now it happens on my home computer also. I tried it with a flash drive and it also happened. I suspect that the first computer at work did something to cause this.

I have tried rebooting and unplugging my computer with the device attached. Troubleshoot hasn't helped. I tried uninstalling it and updating software/drivers but it doesn't do anything.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. TekTime

TekTime

Is this a drive that was purchased as an external drive, or is it a hard drive inside of a USB enclosure?
    (what's the make/model?)

It sounds to me as if the drive has failed..but please provide a bit more information.

3. cirkus

cirkus Thread Starter

It happened to both my Western Digital Portable Hard Drive, and an HP 4GB flash drive.

4. TekTime

TekTime

Have you checked both drives for malware and/or viruses recently?
    If not, I would suggest doing so with both Malwarebytes and
    Superspyware.

5. cirkus

cirkus Thread Starter

Is there a way to scan a device for viruses if it is not listed in Explorer?

6. TekTime

TekTime

You could attach each drive and go into the BIOS to see if it recognizes either..many mobos don't. If the drives are recognized in BIOS, you could use a bootable antivirus program, I believe AVG makes a free bootable "rescue" app.

Another option is to attach a USB to Sata (or IDE) adapter and see if the drive(s) can be detected that way.

Try other USB drives on the computers also to rule out the ports as the problem.

7. cirkus

cirkus Thread Starter

Where should I look in BIOS?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice