1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Device Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chicky650, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chicky650

chicky650 Thread Starter

Please help. I have an HP Pavilion dv8000 notebook running Windows XP with service pack 3. All of a sudden i plugged in my USB wireless mouse and received the message "USB Device Not Recognized". So I went out to the internet and researched this error and I have tried anything from uninstalling the USB's thru device manager, pulling the battery and unplugging the laptop to restart the motherboard and countless other tricks. I tried to reinstall the drivers from the CD that came with the computer and that didn't work either. Please help, this is a great laptop and everything works except the USB ports. I was told that the last resort was to replace the motherboard. Any ideas that I can try before scrapping the whole computer and getting a replacement?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I do not know who advised that, but if the ONLY problem is the USB wireless mouse, it seems to me a little drastic.
    It could be likened to putting a new engine in a car, because the exisitng one needed tuning.
    You do NOT plug in a wireless mouse - you connect the receiver.
    Are other USB devices recognised ie: a usb flash drive.
    What is the make and model of the mouse please.
    Is the mouse battery OK.
    http://www.labnol.org/gadgets/wireless-mouse-stops-working/13719/

See this please and start the tests. ie; batteries, connect to another computer. Did the mouse come with software to install.
    On device manager do you have any warnings.
    Exact model of the HP please - which one of the 8000 series.

3. chicky650

chicky650 Thread Starter

Sorry I should have been more specific. I tried plugging several devices into the USB ports, items that work in other computer USB ports and no matter what I plug into any of the ports I get the same error message. The last thing I was trying was to replace the USB drivers on my computer. I tried to reinstall them by allowing the reinstallation to search the net and also by using the disk the computer came with for installing the drivers and they don't work.

When I open up the Device Manager it reads as follows:
    Universal Serial Bus Controllers
    Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
    Unknown Device
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub
    USB Root Hub

When I do a properties on the "Unknown Device" and click on the Driver Tab and go into Driver Details I get the following in a pop up box:

"No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device."

So I Unintall it and then go to Action and "Scan for hardware changes" and I get the message in a that new hardware was found but when I go back to the device manager it still reads "Unknown Device" and "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device."

When I do a properties on any of the other 3 "USB Root Hubs" and click on the Driver Tab and go into Driver Details it shows the following:

C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usb.sys
    C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbhub.sys

But when I plug anything into any of the USB ports I get the message "Unknown Device" and they do not work.

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4373&SUBSYS_43731002&REV_00\3&13C0B0C5&0&9A
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4374&SUBSYS_43741002&REV_00\3&13C0B0C5&0&98
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4375&SUBSYS_43751002&REV_00\3&13C0B0C5&0&99
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&27FF08EE&5
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB\4&35775885&5
    USB Root Hub USB\ROOT_HUB20\4&116269D0&5
    Unknown Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0000\5&98FBFC4&0&4

Does that help?

I was thinking that the drivers needed to be reinstalled but I have not had any luck with that either from on the net or using the disk that came with the computer.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Open My Computer right click the hard drive, click properties, tools, error checking, check now and click to check the box - file system errors, click start, agree to run on restart, do so please.
    Do not interrupt it. After chkdsk is complete, go Control panel, administrative functions, event viewer, application on left pane and then on main window, scroll to winlogon. Check the chkdsk results, are there any indications of errors other then minor file inconsistencies.

Then go Start, run and type "sfc /scannow" without the quotes and note the space pls between sfc and the /.

Also go Device manager and double click the usb root hub on power management, uncheck - if it is checked the box "allow the computer to turn of this device to save power."

If that does not work, try again reinstalling the device, but when you then install the driver, disable your anti-virus and see if there is now a recognition.

If still no success work your way through this please
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310575

BUT DO NOT attempt the BIOS flash.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go here, then scroll down to #400 in the left column.

Download and save the usb.reg file.

Close all open windows.

Right-click the saved file, then allow it to merge into the registry.

Restart your computer.

See if that helps.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. buster52

buster52

I just joined the group... also experiencing the very same problem with the same HP laptop, dv8000! I've done all the things that chicky has and even gone so far as the BIOS flash, and roll back.....with no change. It still gives 'Device not recognized'....

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Welcome to the TSG forums. :)

Did you try the instructions in post #5?

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. buster52

buster52

Is that the one that says 'IPOD fix'??

9. buster52

buster52

#400- 'USB Port Fix' appears to be a notebook file...not sure how to install from that???

10. buster52

buster52

Service currently unavailable!?????

11. buster52

buster52

I've done all the above...I downloaded IPOD Fix...and ran that...and all the other instructions here, to no avail.....If I need to use #400-'USB PORT FIX' file, I will need help with installing it!!

Hey, Thanks for all the GREAT Help and Info here!!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!