1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB device not recognizing media

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Merlin11221, Nov 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Merlin11221

Merlin11221 Thread Starter

My brother has a Dell laptop. It is recognizing external usb devices, but not the media. His card reader shows up as different storage devices but he can't view anything on a memory card. The printer shows up, but he cannot print. He also gets an error when he turns on the pc.

mcshell.exe - bad image
    C:/windows/nesetupm.exe.manifest is not a valid Windows image
    Please check this against your installation diskette.

Any ideas would be appreciated...

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Tell him to test turning off his McAfee Security software, then reboot and test.

3. Merlin11221

Thanks for responding so fast. I posted before I went to bed as I work nights.

I will need to call him and tell him to try that. I may not post back until tomorrow, so please be patient with us.

If that does enable him to use his usb devices, what should he do then? Would it be best to uninstall McAfee? I haven't had any luck with them and everyone I know has problems with McAfee. I like Stopsign personally, unless you have any better suggestions...

Thanks again,
    Joe

4. ~Candy~

McAfee, in itself, isn't bad, IF IT WORKS for you on your system and doesn't eat up your resources. I've used it successfully on many systems, on another system, it bogs it down.

The security settings could have an affect on external drives............if he disables it and the external drive works, then it's a security setting in the software. If he disables it and it still doesn't work, then we have other issues.

5. Merlin11221

Thank you very much! I'll get back tomorrow.

6. Merlin11221

AcaCandy,

I appologize for not responding. My brother lives in central Wisconsin and was seriously flooded in August. After a series of unfortunate events, he is now trying to build his house for the winter. I have went up to help him twice for two days. Anyway, he is very busy and has not worked on this since I offered to help. He doesn't really need McAfee so I think he will uninstall and go from there. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will know if it worked.

I will post back when I know more.

Thanks again for the help.

7. ~Candy~

Thanks for the update (y)

Sorry to hear of all of his problems.

8. Merlin11221

Alright, I got my hands on the laptop in question. It was running so slow that it took Visio about 5 minutes to open. After uninstalling McAfee, the computer rebooted about 10 times quicker than he remembers. The usb issue is still there though. I have more info that may help diagnose.

The usb ports recognize the equipment fine. Shows the card reader, camera, etc in my computer. Actually lists device types and such, like HP printer or Kodak camera. Problem seems to be that it just won't send data over any of the ports. When he tries to print nothing happens. Usb reading of a SD or CF card in either camera or card reader shows no data. It seems like the transfer starts and quickly gives a "can not read data error".

Additionally the computer tries to install an new device upon reboot. The device is called "Net", no dots or extensions. When we try to install it cannot find any drivers. He is not connected to the internet except for about once a month to get Windows updates and such.

Any help would be fantastic.
    Thanks,
    Joe

9. ~Candy~

In device manager, do all the USB ports show up?

10. Merlin11221

Yes they do. I beleive there are 2 root hubs, and like 6 ports. It doesn't matter which port we use, they all give the same result.

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
    1)Filename : fix.reg
    2)Save as type: all files
    3)Encoding: ANSI
    If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result.

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

12. ~Candy~

Merlin11221, I beckoned John Will for assistance :)

Thanks John (y)

13. Merlin11221

Very cool. Sounds like something way out of my league. Following instructions is easy, but how do you come up with something like that? I am excited to see if this works and will definitaley post back with any questions or success.

Thanks so much for the ideas,
    Joe

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650119

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice