1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Usb device over current detected - shuts me down

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Me22, Oct 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

I have a new HP computer with Vista but don't know if it is a vista fault
    On boot up I get the message Usb device over current detected and it shuts the computer down
    then for a few days it is ok
    Am a learner and really don't know what to do.:(

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What USB devices do you have connected?

3. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

Into the computer I have keyboard, mouse a WD My Book 500gb and a 320 Gb WD external.
    I also have a powered usb hub plugged in and connected to that is my printer and the sensor for Windows Media Center.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you don't get an excess current draw all the time maybe some of those devices draw more power on startup and randomly they together are drawing too much. Or maybe one of the devices has an intermittent problem.

I'd move more devices to the powered hub, and if the problem doesn't go away start disconnecting devices until the culprit is identified.

5. shinybeast

shinybeast

You simply may not be able to run all those devices at the same time. Could try rearranging some things (Maybe moving an external HD to the powered hub if you can.)

6. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

Hi The problem first started when the externals were on the powered hub
    So plugged them straight into the computer. Tried plugging things in and out and swapping usbs and bought a new powered hub Still no change

7. shinybeast

shinybeast

Have you tried with just keyboard (no hub, no other devices)? If that does the same thing then either the KB is bad or motherboard ports could be bad. Can't be sure though. If it works then add mouse. If it works add someting else.

8. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

It is hard to tell as it happens when I least expect it. But quite a lot now
    Also the WD My Book keeps beeping on and off and when I click on a folder in it it shows up empty Even though it is not

9. shinybeast

shinybeast

I wish I could help you, but without more information and maybe some questions answered, it is impossible (for me, anyway).

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Some USB device is drawing too much current and "Also the WD My Book keeps beeping on and off." I wonder if these two things could be related? :rolleyes:

Do you still get a "too much current" problem with that device not connected?

11. Me22

Me22 Thread Starter

yes

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice