1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Device Over Current Detected??

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mycamblur, Oct 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mycamblur

mycamblur Thread Starter

My PC this morning has suddenly and without any warning, gone wrong and cannot be started up.

I am getting the American Megatrends (AMI) warning " USB Device Over Current Detected, system will shut down in 15 seconds"

Even after unplugging everything, including even the monitor, the PC is shutting down after 15 seconds.

What is the cause? Has the motherboard failed? If so can this be replaced without loosing data ( I know this is on the HD so should be ok).

Any advice please?

2. Mark1956

Mark1956

Have a look in the motherboard manual for USB jumpers. Most of the threads I found about this problem were caused by a loose jumper on the mobo or one that had fallen off.

It can also be caused by a damaged USB socket. Check that none of the PC's USB sockets are damaged.

3. mycamblur

mycamblur Thread Starter

Thanks Mark

It was the front USB sockets. I've unplugged them- it means I am two USB ports down, but at least the PC is working again!:)

4. Mark1956

Mark1956

Well done. If you need more USB sockets you could fit a card with them on.

Something like the ones on this page

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1021420

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice