1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Device over current status detected/Bad RAM

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ezekiah, Oct 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ezekiah

Ezekiah Thread Starter

Alright, those these two issues are most likely unrelated, it's awfully coincidental that they concluded tonight in my computer being dead.

I'm a World of Warcraft player who recently began experiencing critical errors. Rapidly, over two days, the problem got progressively worse, until I couldn't even start the game. Then my browser began to crash, and then I began to blue screen. It occurred to me around this time that the computer itself may be the problem. So I set up windows memory diagnostic tool and ran it, and just about every test it ran failed. So, I decided to try and identify which of my 4 ram sticks (1 gig each) were the problem. I first took out the ram in the 2nd and 4th slot, and ran the test again. Perfect, every test passed. Great. Just needed to replace those two sticks and I'd be set.

I noticed however that one of the sticks I removed in the 4th slot had a hard time getting out. I decided to see if that port was in error. I moved the obviously good ram from 1/3 to 2/4, and as I was putting the ram in, the plastic that contained it snapped. Now... I'm 99% sure I wasn't putting it in with extraordinary pressure, but obviously I broke it. Oh well... this is no good. I put the RAM back into 1/4 and started the computer up..

I now have to give a very brief side story, and I really appreciate you taking the time to read all this. I had, on rare, non-repeating occurences, experienced an error when I booted up my computer for a few months where it said USB Device over current status detected !! Computer will shut down in 15 seconds.

When I started up the computer this time, the problem occurred again. Fine, I restarted. Again. Again. Nope, this time, for whatever reason, the error I never fully understood and lazily ignored was not going away. So I did some googling on my laptop to try and figure it out. I found your forum board, and had a bit of hope. I have no floppy drive, so I can't flash my BIOS or anything of the sort, nor do I fully understand that process. I was however, able to trace the cords from my front firewire port and USB ports, which I had been using, to my mobo. I unhooked them both(fyi, I'm never going to be able to get that Firewire setup again.. it was just several single wires with a plastic cap, not 5 wires going into one cap that then went into a slot, I believe this is called a jumper) and then I started up m rig again, but the error was still present. I currently have absolutely no wires leading to any USB ports nor any open USB ports.

There are some USB ports in the back of my machine directly connected to the MOBO. These must be the problem, but wtf would have happened? Could the plastic piece snapping have caused this to suddenly start occurring and not stopping? And if so, why was it happening before? Are they not related?

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me. I'll edit this post in a few when I find my manual and figure out the name of the MOBO I'm using... right now I'm too angry with it to even bother looking...

I'll also update this with the blue screen error, but I am certain the bad RAM stick was the problem for that. thanks so much guys, I really hope you can help, and please keep in mind.. I'm really not good with computers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice