1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Device problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jacklbaker, Jan 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacklbaker

jacklbaker Thread Starter

Some usb devices mount when plugged in to one of 4 ports on my Wndows XP computer.

These work - iPhone, iPad, some usb memorry sticks.

These don't - some usb memory sticks and MagicJack (VOIP telephone).

I get a windows "Ding-Dong" when inserted but they fail to show up in dest-top or in MyComputer folder. I don't get an eror messages.

Have attempted to update USB drivers but only get "Driver is the most compatable available" (not the exact wording.

What next?

2. neil21stirling

neil21stirling

a few things can cause this. 1st thing i would try is to uninstall the devices that are not working from your machine using device manager. Shutdown your computer.
    unplug the computer either from socket at back of machine or from wall, whichever you would prefer, leave for 5-10mins. Plug computer back in, boot machine up and try and re-install the device's.

I have seen this happen quite a few times with memory stick's not so much with other equipment, mostly usb drives, but powering down the motherboard completely by disconnecting from power, gives it a nice reset and allows for the devices to install and work correctly more often than not.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't always the soloution, should it not work, post back and let us know. There are a few other issues that can cause this problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/973176

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice