1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB device problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by boddah668, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. boddah668

boddah668 Thread Starter

Ok recently when i plug any type of usb device into any of the usb ports my my compter it dont recognize any of them and immediatly a little icon in the bottom right side shows up and tells me that i can safely remove hardware??? can someone please tell me what is wrong and what i need to do to try to fix this so i can use my usb devices!! thanks alot

Jr

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Give this a try, see if it cleans out the USB parameters.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

3. boddah668

boddah668 Thread Starter

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. i was just trying this but when i double click on it it isnt asking me to merge into registry??? what am i doing wrong??

4. boddah668

boddah668 Thread Starter

ok nevermind i got it to merge now ill see if it helps!!!

5. boddah668

boddah668 Thread Starter

well it didnt help. it still does the same thing, just as soon as i plug it in the safely remove hardware icon shows up in the tray. any other options?? thanks for the help so far.

Jr

6. boddah668

boddah668 Thread Starter

just alittle more info about my problem, my usb mouse works in all the usb slots but no other usb device will, and i think all of this started after i deleted some program which said something along the lines of "common files may be used by other programs". i dont remember what program i deleted may have been windows media player because i did roll that back to a previous version but i have tried reinstalling but no luck. I also cant use windows restore because it wont let me restore from a point before this all happened.

7. JohnWill

You may have to do a Windows Repair Installation.

All you do is boot from the CD. When it asks if you want to repair and to press "R", don't. Continue with the installation just like you were installing for the first time.

You will then get a license agreement and it will ask you to press F8 to agree. Right after that screen, you will see a list of Windows installations that setup found. It will ask if you want to repair it. Read the directions on that page!!!

Then, you will actually press "R" this time and XP will re-install.

When done, you will be back to your familiar desktop with everything looking just like it did before. But all your Windows Updates are gone and you will need to get those again.

8. boddah668

boddah668 Thread Starter

JohnWill i have Registry First Aid which creates a backup of my registry every time i use it. Since the furthest back i can go with windows restore is just a couple days ago i would beable to go back further with these files. would this maybe work? I dont want to add these files and end up with more problems than what i have now. my recovery cds have somehow managed to grow legs and walk off, i cannot find them anywhere so i just ordered some new ones, but thought maybe in the meantime i could restore from a Registry First Aid save. thanks again for the help..

Jr

9. JohnWill

I'd make an image backup before you start screwing around with the registry too much. No sense making a bad situation worse.

10. boddah668

boddah668 Thread Starter

JohnWill, when i boot from my recovery cds it dont tell me to press R for repair. it brings up a program that says it will restore my system back to default and it will not create a system backup and that i have to do that on my own. So do i not get an option to repair missing files??? i dont want to continue with that program and lose everything i have cause i dont have anything large enough to make a full system backup onto. Thanks alot..

Jr

11. JohnWill

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice