1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Device Shorts Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rcwilkinson, Apr 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rcwilkinson

rcwilkinson Thread Starter

Hi Guys

I bought myself a laptop this week and all was going well until I attempted to plug in an external DVD drive via a usb lead... this shorted my laptop. What's weird is I only have to plug in the cable of the device (i.e. the cable doesnt need to be linked to the dvd drive) for my laptop to short. This isnt sparodic, it happened every time.

The laptop shorts everytime this particular device is plugged in, regardless of the port (have 3 ports). It doesnt freeze or restart, it just turns off completely.
    However, it only does it for this one device, I have plugged in others (printer, mouse, keyboard) and had no problems. I have a few questions that I'd be very grateful if anyone could answer:

1. Why would this only happen for the one device?
    2. Is this causing damage to my laptop?
    3. Would this indicate a faulty motherboard?
    4. Why doesnt it crash my PC ( I have tried this device in my PC and it worked fine, no crashes and I can use the device)
    5. The laptop is still under warranty, would you recommened I ring up and get it looked at?

Many thanks in advance for you advice

Ross

FYI - Laptop spec:
    Asus UL30a
    CPU - ULV SU2300
    HDD - 320 GB
    RAM - DDR3 1066 1G + 2G
    OS - WIN 7

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Maybe the cable is bad.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916002

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice