1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB device turns off when Windows boots

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Computer Guyz, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Computer Guyz

Computer Guyz Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a Symbol bar code scanner that plugs in via usb cable. When I push the power button on my pc the scanner turns on, but as soon as windows loads the scanner turns off. If i unplug the scanner and replug it in it works fine. This happens everytime I reboot. Any suggestions????

2. Specsnow

Specsnow

Hi there,

On some machines, with certain motherboards, the USB ports are sent power immediately when the computer turns on (which yours does), but then Windows will shut that power off when it boots up so that it can load the drivers for all your devices, and then turn back on again. When Windows cuts power to the USB, your scanner shuts down.

Unfortunately there is no way to fix this that is documented. I would recommend trying going into the BIOS menu and enabling "Legacy USB Support" and seeing if that works. (That keeps the power alive to the USB all the time, as long as the PC is plugged in.) If that doesn't work, then there is no solution except for what you are already doing.

Hope this helps.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/752924

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice