1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB devices crashing Computer

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by andywarner72, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andywarner72

andywarner72 Thread Starter

Having reinstalled XP slipstreamed with SP2, I'm now back to where I was two weeks ago just before my computer refused to boot after SP2.

It now crashes every time I try to install the USB modem, or scanner. I've tried Updating the drivers, but just as the installation is completing, all power is lost, and can only be restarted once the power lead has been removed for about 20 seconds, and USB devices disconnected. Anyone have any ideas?

Athlon 2600XP, Asrock M/board ((not)via chipset(but SIS)), Sagem [email protected] 800 USB modem.

2. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy andywarner72, Sounds like it might be a computer repairman job!Have you tried downloading drivers on another computer, burning them to CD then installing from CD?All cables correctly inserted (ie.not loose) or any problems with power supply? Sounds like it is doing an impromptu shutdown during installation!Can you get to look at device managers at all? That might give you any conflicts, especially if a yellow exclamation mark is present next to any device. Hope you can get help soon.

3. Old Rich

Old Rich

4. shadowcat

shadowcat

It could also be that your power supply is overloaded, i.e., you have too much hardware for it to run your computer. How many Watts is it and what brand? You may have to open the case to find out.

By the way, the power supply is the part of the computer that's connected to the power cord to the electrical outlet.

5. andywarner72

Pfurball and Shadowcat - I'm beginning to suspect the power supply since, at the moment, I can only boot up one time out of 20, very often the power cutting within a second or two of switching on. When it does this it can't be restarted unless the power cord is disconnected for at least 10 seconds. Could that be a symptom?
    The thing is, the power supply was new in April, and is 400W low noise PSU, as opposed to the 300W one that came with the computer a month before.

I'm only getting the yellow exclamation mark for the display card driver on one of the systems (of the dual boot). Device Manager in the other one is fine, yet both suffer complete power loss when plugging in the USB modem or scanner, though not when connecting a digital camera by USB.

Simpswr - Thanks for posting the link for Via. I must apologise for my stupidity because it is actually an SIS chipset!, and I've done an update from Asrock for that.

For some reason, on one system I'm missing any help and support files.
    While installing both systems I received a message saying a file by the name of g200.inf couldn't be copied, and this could result system not working properly. Could this be a clue?

6. MontyL

MontyL

Another reason for quick "no warning" shutdown would be the CPU temperature... have you gone into BIOS and watched the hardware monitor as the machine warms up?

7. shadowcat

shadowcat

What brand is the power supply?

You could use a voltage meter or buy a ATX power supply tester from any computer shop to test to see if the power supply is failing.

The g200.inf is part of a driver for a Matrox video card. Try:
    - downloading new drivers from your video card maker or using the CD that came with your video card.
    - uninstalling your video card driver.
    - install video card driver.

8. andywarner72

Thanks Shadowcat - I was thinking of making a new slipstreamed CD including the g200.inf file which I found on my original XP CD, but from what you say it seems irelevant, my graphics card being an ati Radeon 9200.
    I still have the original PSU I could refit to see if it solves problem.

9. shadowcat

shadowcat

The only thing about putting in the old power supply (300W) is that it may be too small your hardware power requirements. To find out, input your hardware at http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ and see what your minimum power requirements are.

10. andywarner72

Useful page! told me I only need 255W.
    Incidentally, once booted, system is stable until, having plugged in the modem, installation of the 'ADSL WAN Adapter', then power goes.

11. shadowcat

shadowcat

Have you tried other USB ports -- just to rule out a "dead" port?

12. andywarner72

yes, done that - I have a usb pci card somewhere - is it worth trying that?

13. shadowcat

shadowcat

Before doing that (after reading MontyL's suggestion), did you check the CPU temperatures?

14. andywarner72

yes, I have - 38c/100f. the thing I didn't get about that idea was 'why should the temperature reach critical when starting from cold, when, once it's booted up it's fine'?

15. shadowcat

shadowcat

Thus far, we've narrowed it down to the USB ports or the power supply... you know, maybe it's SP2... did the modem and the scanner work before SP2? (Duh, why didn't I think of that before?)

If both peripherals worked before SP2 was installed, I'd uninstall it by using Add/Remove Programs. And from here on out, make sure you keep your

- antivirus definitions updated and run a scan weekly
    - run a decent firewall (Zone Alarm or Sygate)
    - run Spybot and Adaware.

Other suggestions:

You could open the case and check the wires for the USB ports -- to make sure it didn't become loose. Here's the website to look for the Asrock's manuals. The motherboard model number should be marked on the board.

If that fails, I suppose trying the USB PCI card wouldn't hurt...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/274029

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice