1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB devices - drivers not found

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dakkon74, Jan 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dakkon74

dakkon74 Thread Starter

I have a Windows XP home machine, with all the latest updates. For as long as I have had it, I have had USB issues. The PC detects when I plug something in, but can never find the drivers. External hard drives, USB drives, USB hubs, cell phones, etc... When I plug these devices into other PCs, drivers are immediately loaded and the items are accessable. Anyone have any ideas? I have searched the Medion website for USB driver updates, and have install what they had, but that did not help at all. Thanks for any help!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try this to flush out all the old and possible mis-configured registry entries.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- cut here --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- cut here --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

3. dakkon74

dakkon74 Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! I followed your instructions. At the first reboot, the PC detected the "Universal Serial bus Controller" about four times, and could not find the driver for it either time.

I assume I need to find the drivers for the USB controller? Know where I can find them? I do not have a true WinXP disk, just the system restore disk (crap) that comes with computers these days. Thanks!

4. pikespeak1

pikespeak1

I have similar problem...USB devices (printer, hard drive, etc.) work except for Camera and all my flash drive devices. I implemented your recommended procedure, but no help. Is it possible the problem is related to computer having USB 1.0 ports, where the unknown devices (i.e. camera, flash drives) are USB 2.0?

Appreciate the help...

JC

5. pikespeak1

pikespeak1

Frustrating, isn't it...Happy New Year

6. dakkon74

dakkon74 Thread Starter

pp1 - I have usb 2.0 ports, but I don't think that matters. I believe all/most USB devices are backwards compatible with 1.0/1.1.

7. pikespeak1

pikespeak1

You're correct...I remember now that I tried camera and flash drives on my older computers with no problem.

8. Willy Duitt

Willy Duitt Banned

Do you have an Intel chipset??
    If you pull up the Device Manager - is there an explanation mark next to: SM Bus Controller??

If so - search the net for: infinst_autol.exe

.....Willy

9. dakkon74

dakkon74 Thread Starter

It is a "SIS 7002 USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller"

I will check to see if they have a website with drivers......thanks

10. dakkon74

dakkon74 Thread Starter

I ran a online utility on SIS website, and it said that USB is "provided by OS".

SIS info:
    North Bridge Chipset: 648
    South Bridge Chipset: 963/963L

11. Willy Duitt

Willy Duitt Banned

That's a P4 - did you try what I suggested??
    Or am I singing to the choir??

.....Willy

12. dakkon74

dakkon74 Thread Starter

I don't think I have an intel chipset, but rather a SIS chipset. SHould I still run the intel file you suggested?

Well, I tried it, and it did not work. Could not find intel chipset. The SYS site had drivers for sound, video, ide, etc. but said USB is provided by the OS. I suspect I am missing a winxp file, or it is corrupted.

13. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You do realize that you MUST install the motherboard drives for many systems to get all the built-in hardware working, right?

14. dakkon74

dakkon74 Thread Starter

Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by motherboard drives. Do you mean having USB enabled through the bios?

These ports have worked before. Somehow about two years ago I was able to get a Lexar Jump drive and a 4 port hub working. I also have had a external cdwr drive connected. All these devices took a lot of playing around to get them to work. Now nothing works anymore.

There is a bios update available on the Medion site. Maybe I will try that. I just try not to flash firmware if it can be avoided, and as I said these devices worked before. (although maybe not as effortlessly as they should have).

Thanks again!

15. pikespeak1

pikespeak1

Well, after more research, have linked my problem to my USB external Maxtor harddrive, which is apparently using too much "juice" off the USB Controller. If removed, both my camera and flash drives now work. Anyone have economical solution? Thanks...

JC

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/430237

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice