Usb Devices Not Being Recognised

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

owenb1

Hello

When I plug any USB device in my Laptop nothing happens!
My Ipod doesn't update or chardge and my external hard drive doesn't show under my computer as a drive. Also the usual noise that comes on when i plug in a device doesn't occur.
Device Manager doesn't show any problems.

Can anybody help?

daz1

Banned
in device manager try click on any device then action then scan for hardware changes see if that brings any light to your problem,make suye fully updated especially motherboard,try system restore to a time they did work,restore anything if you have run lots of registry cleaners,assume you have service pack 2?You can also try deleting the drivers and reboot so windows will reinstall,a few options for you to try

owenb1

I'm just about to restore.

What am I looking for in Device Manager? There is nothing with an exclaimation mark. Where is the USB section?

owenb1

Restore did go through with no message saying it was unable to restore.

There is no entry in device manager for USB, it doesn't mention USB anywhere!

Try this fix by Johnwill

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

owenb1

Shouldn't I have an entry in Device Manager for Universal Serial Bus Controllers?
I looked in the BIOS but there was nothing to show it had been disabled or anything about USB for that matter

owenb1

Still no joy with this.

I have system restored to a time when they were working, ran factory reload cd, ran the FIX.REG - still no entry for USB in Device Manager.

I'm pretty sure they were SIS, but went onto USBMan but the SIS USB fix didn't work.

It's made by Tiny who have since gone bust!

Can anybody help?

owenb1

I'm updating XP to SP2 at the moment but I'm doubtful if it'll make a difference.

Is there anything on Startup that will tell my what USB chipset I have?

SP2 fixes a lot of problems. It should work after that. Also make sure you have everything from windows update/microsoft update.

Check bios that usb 2.0 is enabled and in fact all usb possibilities are enabled (except for boot enable for usb).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online