1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB devices not identified.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bobred, Jan 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bobred

bobred Thread Starter

Windows XP, USB2 ports. Likely this is a software problem but not sure where to start. My computer stopped recognizing my digital camera and camera dock that plug into USB. Still recognizes my printer and scanner. Bought a card reader thinking I'd bypass the problem but it wasn't recognized either. Later added a UPS which hooks up to USB so it can be monitored and it wasn't recognized. I get a beep when I disconnect or connect them. It doesn't matter which actual port I use. I can take the printer out and put it back and it sees it every time. Using install new hardware it wants a disk with a driver on it but when I supply that it doesn't find it. Troubleshooting through Microsoft's system doesn't do it. Using device manager to try to find them shows only question marks where the device should be. When I plug my camera into another computer it's never been used on it is identified correctly by model immediately. This did work for years but I've screwed something up, perhaps with some kind of maintenance software but I don't know what to replace. Tech service associated with my computer think I may have to do a factory install which seems like a major headache. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Please post your system specs...

3. bobred

bobred Thread Starter

Sorry, not sure what you need. Hardware specs?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG

-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"

-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

5. bobred

bobred Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply, unable to try till last night. The result is I lost my printer and mouse too, so now none of my USB devices work. Found new hardware wizard starts every time I boot, can't find software and asks for CD which I supply and it still can't find software. If I try a new install of the software (eg: printer or mouse) I get message that the software is already loaded. The new hardware found is called either USB Controller or Device Unknown in the Wizard.

Going to Device Manager shows 5 or 6 yellow question marks and USB Controller. Tried adding one device at a time and rebooting with no change. Followed hardware troublshooting for the printer with no change.

Guess I need to go back to a point before I tried your solution to restore printer and mouse at least. Using a PS2 port mouse adapter for now. Any other ideas?

Thanks, Bob :(

6. JohnWill

That's what the system restore point is for at the start of the procedure.

7. bobred

bobred Thread Starter

Thanks John, I knew what the restore point was for and I've gone back there, so I'm printing again. What I meant was do you have any other suggestions as to how I can get this computer to recognize USB devices? Is a clean install of my system the only option left, and if so, if I go to Vista will that accomplish the same thing? Appreciate your time. Bob.

8. JohnWill

Other than sifting through the registry looking for errant entries, I don't have any bright ideas. :)

I suppose you could give a Repair Install a try before you go for a total reinstall.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

9. bobred

bobred Thread Starter

OK - thanks again.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/537559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice