1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB dramas

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tshabani, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

I'm still having trouble getting the USB port on my partner's older laptop to work. Pentium II 250mz, was running Win '95, but I have upgraded it to '98.

I enabled the USB in the BIOS and the Dud's advice was "Once that is Enabled press the Escape key and then got 'PnP/PCI Configuration' and make sure 'Assign IRQ for USB' is enabled.
    Press Escape again then got to Exit and save Changes, press enter and confirm with a 'Y' and the PC will carry on booting as normal. If that doesn't cure it, then the problem is something else altogether...

I could not find 'Assign IRQ for USB' to enable it. I rebooted and got message "This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. code 10" I have reinstalled the driver and it still doesn't work.

I'm about to throw the thing out of the window!

2. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

Sorry, Dud, not the Dud.:eek:

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If the machine originally had W95 on it, chances are the USB is a very early version, and may well have issues with the current USB support in Windows. I'd check with the manufacturer and see if there's a BIOS upgrade for the machine, or perhaps a USB driver update that might help.

4. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

The machine is a KTX which I've just found out is Korean for rubbish. The company went bust and they have no technical support. Windrivers.com might have an update, but I would have to pay US$29.95 for a six month membership just to find out that they don't have one after all. How easy is it to install a new USB port into a laptop?

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a spare PCMCIA card slot, they're available that way.

6. tshabani

tshabani Thread Starter

What a good idea. Why didn't I think of that? I think the computer will be granted a reprieve. Thanks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116696

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice