USB Drive terminally write-protected. Can't format it!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Warthog1

Steve
Hi

My previously-reliable Kingston 32GB USB drive has suddenly become write protected. The drive is recognized by my Dell Laptop which provides a helpful message that I cannot use it until I format it. When I attempt this, I'm told Windows can't format it--it's write protected.

I've tried everything Google can suggest: Registry tweaks, Command Prompts, you name it, without success.

Is there a nuclear option for getting this apparently simple task done?

Thanks in advance

crjdriver

The disk may have failed. I assume you have checked for a read only switch. You can try the following;
1 Open a command prompt as admin
2 Type diskpart and hit enter
3 At the diskpart prompt, type list disk and hit enter
4 Note which disk is the usb. Type select disk 3 and hit enter. Note sub whatever disk is your usb for 3
5 Type attributes disk clear readonly and hit enter

If it works, great. If not, then replace the disk.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online