1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB drive won't show on desktop / files won't show in folders

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chi-Town Mac, Nov 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chi-Town Mac

Chi-Town Mac Thread Starter

I have a prob with my Seagate 1TB external hard drive working on my G4 Powerbook (Leopard OSX). I have a Maxtor 200 gb drive that works perfectly. But The 1TB drive doesn't always appear on the desktop but does show in the system profiler. When it does show up on the desktop my files missing from from folders. Finally on the few times that files show up, I can't open them. I had error messages about permission to open the files but the drive and files all have read/write permission.

I use the drive for backup. The files on this drive are from the Maxtor drive, random disks and my thinkpad which runs Vista.
    Any insite would be greatly appreciated.

2. JeffM

JeffM

It's Vista's Security System. Go through the help file and it will tell you how to turn it off

3. Chi-Town Mac

Chi-Town Mac Thread Starter

Thanx for the response. I'll give that a try but I'm not sure if this will be effective since I have the other usb drive which I used on both machines first and have no problems reading or writing files on. I'll check back to let you know if I have success.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/769145

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice