1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Drivers Corrupted?? -Urgent-

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Metronalee, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Metronalee

Metronalee Thread Starter

Okay, so I'm running Vista Ultimate x64 with an Intel Core 2 Quad on a Rampage Formula board blah blah blah. So at any rate, I caught a virus of some sort and it did a real number on my USB ports. As of right now, On boot none of the USB devices work until I delete INFCACHE.1, then go to device manager and delete all of the broken USB devices. Windows then reinstalls the USB drivers and everything works again . . . Except for two problems.
    1) I have to do this EVERY TIME I BOOT UP.
    2) It seems that If I plug a USB device into a different port than the one it was in when I deleted INFCACHE.1, it refuses to work until I go through that whole process again.
    I've tried installing the fancy new Intel Chipset thing, and that did nothing. Also, Intel's built in Driver Scanner detects no problems. One last thing: when looking in the Driver details in Device Manager say they're from 2006 and distributed by Microsoft, even though they're all named 'Intel ICH9 Family'.

I might be able to upgrade to Windows 7, will that fix this problem? If not, is there any way I can?

2. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

A clean install to Win7 would be more helpfull I would think, since an upgrade might just bring what is
    broken over to the Win7 OS especially if there are still lingering Virus' and what not.

I would wait for the Experts in this field or a Moderator to come along for more advice before moving onto Win7

Good luck
    Ray

3. Metronalee

Metronalee Thread Starter

I think the viruses were removed, but the damage is still here . . . .

4. RaytheBear

RaytheBear

Do you have the Vista SP2 installed?

5. coolguy110395

coolguy110395

6. vicks

vicks

What security programs did you run?
    I would suggest you use MalwareBytes and Superantispyware along with your anti virus. I would run each both on regular startup and again in safe mode.
    If that doesn't work, I am sure one of the security experts will be by and help you more.
    Vicks

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/978321

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice