1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB drives not showing in My Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sm0ke, Sep 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sm0ke

sm0ke Thread Starter

I have a few USB drives (three thumbdrives and an iPod), and none of them show up in My Computer. The Device Manager shows that I have them plugged in, and they also show up in the Safely Remove Hardware panel in the system tray. I'm reluctant to reinstall Windows. I've tried using the other USB port, and other USB devices like my network adapter, printer, and wireless mouse work just fine.

I'm using Windows XP with Service Pack 1 on a Toshiba laptop with a 2 GHz Celeron, 768 MB of RAM, and a 30 GB hard drive.

Anybody know what might fix this?

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
    -------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
    REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
    -------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
    If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

3. sm0ke

sm0ke Thread Starter

Alright, I'll try this out when I get home. Thanks.

4. sm0ke

sm0ke Thread Starter

Alright, now that I've tried that... nothing. Still doesn't show my iPod or jumpdrives in My Computer. Any other thoughts?

5. JohnWill

Do they show up in Disk Management? If not, how about in Device Manager?

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I'm probably way off base here but do you have any network (as in Local Area Network) resources that are assigned a drive letter or letters on that laptop?

If not, forget I asked.

7. sm0ke

sm0ke Thread Starter

JohnWill: The drives show up both in Disk Management and Device Manager, but not My Computer or iTunes.

Alex Ethridge: No, I don't have any network resources - I'm using XP Home... for home use... and I definitely couldn't afford to buy a server or anything.

Also, I tried using Disk Management to assign my iPod a drive letter, and that didn't work either.

8. Saxon

Saxon

Some Laptops have trouble with self powered devices like pen drives as a 5 volt supply has to be diverted from the power supply of the Laptop to the USB port. Go into Device Manager again and look for all instances of USB Root Hub under Universal Serial bus controllers. Right click on each USB Root Hub entry and click on Properties. Click on the Power Management tab and uncheck the entry Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power This will force your Laptop to deliver a 5 volt supply to every USB port at once, that is presuming your Laptop is powerful enough it may not work otherwise.

9. sm0ke

sm0ke Thread Starter

Tried that too, Saxon. Still nothing.

10. JohnWill

Exactly what do you see in Disk Management? A screen shot would be nice...

Are you sure you didn't disable My Computer drives with something like TweakUI?

11. sm0ke

sm0ke Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't mess with TweakUI too much. Just minor things like the "New Programs Installed" thing on the Start menu. I hate that...

I just looked through Device Manager again, and it seems like it wants to reinstall hardware every time I plug anything in. It showed something like 15 "Generic Volumes".

[​IMG]
    Disk 0 is, obviously, my hard drive.
    Disk 1/KNUCKLEBALL is my iPod.
    CD-ROM 0 is my physical DVD drive.
    CD-ROM 1 is my Nero ImageDrive virtual drive.

And yes, I am well aware that I need to free up some space on my hard drive.

12. JohnWill

Well, for whatever reason, the drive has no drive letter assigned. Did you try right clickong on the graphic for KNUKLEBALL and assigning a drive letter?

13. sm0ke

sm0ke Thread Starter

Yeah, I tried that, but nothing happened.

[​IMG]

14. JohnWill

Well, that's a different display, that disk suddenly has no drive letter? How did that happen?

15. sm0ke

sm0ke Thread Starter

I have no idea at all. The only thing I can think of is that my computer wouldn't boot so I did an in-place upgrade of Windows XP. I went into Device Manager and uninstalled the 10 to 15 Generic Volumes, as well as the way-too-many USB Human Interface Devices, and other stuff like that. After that, I tried again, and still nothing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/498583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice