1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Drop Off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaveB, Dec 31, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveB

DaveB Thread Starter

OK here's the problem;

No matter what the USB device or if it'slugged into the MB or hub the results are the same. The device will turn off, no power. You can simpy unplug it and plug it right back in and it works fine. MAy work for days, minutes or hours but will do it again.

AMD Athlon (Slot A) 850
    PC100 Memory
    MSI 6167 MB
    Windows 98 all updates
    Aureal Sound
    Maxtor HD

2. slipe

slipe

Do you have any sort of indication that the device has power even if it is switched off? I’m wondering if it might be getting an off signal rather than actually losing power and that reseating it turns it back on.

Is this happening to just one USB device or several at the same time?

By plugging into the MB I take it you are referring to plugging into the regular USB slots on the back of the computer. Is the hub just an extension to allow multiple outlets or is it more sophisticated? Does the problem occur if the hub is completely disconnected?

3. DaveB

DaveB Thread Starter

I have no indication of power. The Hub is just an extension to allow several things to be plugged in. It is self powered. Any device that gets its power from the USB port on the back of the computer loses power, indicated by the light on the device going out. The two device, mouse and smartmedia reader, both stop functioning.

4. slipe

slipe

I’ve read several posts by people who said they switched from a USB to PS2 mouse and eliminated all of their USB problems.

Why do you need a hub with only 2 devices? If you have the standard 2 connections on the computer try disconnecting the hub.

5. DaveB

DaveB Thread Starter

It has nothing to do with the Hub. I also have a USB Printer. Going back to a PS2 Mouse would be fine if my Wife hadn't spent $70 on a Microsoft Mouse for Christmas and I'v e thrown away the receipt. It done this with my Logitec mouse also and I had switched it to PS2. This Micorsoft is a wireless mouse, so it won't work with PS2.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice