Solved Usb dvd player works on Win 7 laptop but not Win 10

rumi

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 18363, Installed 20200308001445.000000+540
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 142 Stepping 10, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 620, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 475 GB (310 GB Free);
Motherboard: LENOVO LNVNB161216, ver SDK0J40709 WIN, s/n PF1HA6D7
System: LENOVO, ver LENOVO - 1, s/n PF1HA6D7
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

This is the info for the Win 10 laptop that it doesn't work on.

Symptoms = device doesn't show up in File Explorer, does show in Disk Manager and device manager.

In device manager the device keeps looping and refreshing as there and then not there alernately.

tells me the device driver is the most up to date version.

Thanks for any help in advance :)

Rumi

What's the make/model of USB DVD player? Does it have it's own power cable? What USB port are you connecting it to on the PC/laptop? Have you tried a different USB port?

rumi

Thanks for your reply,

the player is a Buffalo DVSM-PS58U2-BK. It has a 5V DC input socket but didn’t come with a power cable. The laptop only has 2 USB ports and I have tried them both. Neither worked, but one caused a less erratic response than the other.

It has a 5V DC input socket but didn’t come with a power cable.
I think that's your answer right there. Also, looking up that model....I can only find 2 instances of it on ebay. The rest is in Japanese, Korean or Chinese.

So it looks like the laptop with windows 10, the usb ports are not providing enough power to make it function correctly. So you could either track down a power cable for it. Or, you could get a powered USB HUB and see if that works.

rumi

yes the player was bought in japan, the laptops are from the UK. I’ll try to get some power through it and let you know what happens

thanks

rumi

Hi Bassfisher, I bought a powered USB Hub as I most likely will need one as the new laptop only has 2 USB ports. The DVD player works fine through the powered hub :)

I wouldn't have thought that an old laptop (11 years I think) would power the drive ok but the new one doesn't, but that seems to be the case.

Thank you

Rumi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online