1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB expansion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jim McDonald, Oct 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim McDonald

Jim McDonald Thread Starter

I need more USB outlets on my machine. Currently there are two and are used for a modem and printer. I was thinking of a Belkin product but would like some advice on whether it is better to have one externally powered to avoid extra load on the machine. Any thoughts out there please?

2. XP-1800

XP-1800

Hi Jim.
    I use a Belkin 4 port USB (v1.1)hub. It is powered and has a switch to either use the pc power or transformer power. I have it switched to use transformer power so that the load is on the hub, not my motherboard.............I believe this is the best option.
    MY pc does have 4 x USB ports on the rear and 2 x ports on the front. But, to run my scanner, camera and printer I run them off the powered Belkin hub and just have the one USB cable from the hub to the rear of the pc, so am only using one of the pc ports. I also used to run my USB modem from it too when I was on dial up, but on cable modem now.
    I reckon it is the best way to go, and gives your puter less to worry about...........:)

3. Jim McDonald

Thanks XP. I thought intuitively this would be the answer but I'm always pleased to hear others' views on this site.
    Jim

4. XP-1800

XP-1800

No worries mate.............get the hub, something else to clutter up your desk with.....:) But worth the money.........around £25..??
    Bought mine about a year or so ago, and no problems with it.
    It is a darn sight easier to have one USB cable in the back of your machine, and all the useable ones for your bits to be plugged into the Belkin within easy reach...............no more scrabbling around the back of the puter case..............:D

5. Jim McDonald

Thanks XP I'll go this way but what's all this I hear about USB2? It's probably a dumb question as my machine is USB1. I will upgrade before long though ...
    Jim

6. XP-1800

XP-1800

USB 2..............the latest flavour...............:)
    You can buy USB v2 add in cards to slot into a PCI slot.......if you have a free one...:)
    Faster than the USB 1.1 but only good (I think) for if you have USB 2 accessories. Whether it will make any difference running USB 1 bits off a USB 2 card I haven't a clue................but plenty of knowledgeable members here will.

7. Jim McDonald

Thanks XP. I'll wait for any other thoughts on this but will start looking at Dabs for prices in the meantime. Thank you again for your help.
    Jim

8. XP-1800

XP-1800

Good luck..............:)

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

FWIW, this is a no-brainer! USB 2.0 is the way to go, and the expansion cards are only $15-20 for a 5 port card (one internal). I have used a number of them, and they support full speed hard disks and CD drives on the USB bus. Since they're backward compatible to USB 1.1, it's the clear choice IMO.

USB 2.0 hard disks make a great backup medium, they're safe, and you can take them with you. You can also access them on any system with a USB port.

10. Jim McDonald

Thanks JohnWill (and XP) for your advice. I've decided to go with USB2 and will now order with far more confidence.
    Have a good day.
    Jim

11. Jim McDonald

Hi both
    Just to let you know I've ordered a Belkin USB 2 hub from DABS. It finished at £37. Thanks for your help.
    Jim

12. JohnWill

A hub? You need an expansion board, not a hub! A hub is to expand your existing USB connection, and you don't have a USB 2.0 connection yet. :)

13. Jim McDonald

Johnwill - I thought these were backwards compatible. I was planning to use it with a higher spec machine in due course.
    Jim

14. myvicisslow

myvicisslow

Hey Jim. What I think johnwill is trying to say is that the hub you purchased will not work at the usb 2.0 speed. Since your current usb port is 1.1, a usb 2.0 hub may work, but only at the usb 1.1 speed. What you need is the expansion board that goes into your PCI slot. Since you have the usb 2.0 hub now, you'll need to buy a usb 2.0 expansion bus to take advantage of the usb 2.0 hub.

15. JohnWill

I couldn't have said it better myself! :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/174953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice