1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Extension Cable Freezes Mouse

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MikeMurray2, Mar 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MikeMurray2

MikeMurray2 Thread Starter

I have a USB Extension Cable (36") connected to the back of my PC. Today, I want to sync my new Fitbit with my PC. Proceeding, I ejected an 8gig flash stick from the USB cable, and removed it. Then, I connected the Fitbit Charging Cable to the USB Extension Cable and found my cursor has disappeared. I tested other flash sticks and they produce the same sympton: Cursor disappears. However, when I reconnect the just-separated stick the cursor returns to a full-function state. Any trouble-shooting tips? Thank you.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Your post has insufficient detail to assist you
    1. Which Fitbit
    2. Make and full model of computer
    3. Many new computers come with a dedicated usb charging socket the purpose being to charge a device when the computer is powered off providing mains power or if a laptop mains or at least battery at 50% plus approx.
    4. Depending on the age of your computer there may not be sufficient power - current not voltage supplied to the usb ports to charge the Fitbit and power the mouse
    5. Likely cause is however - extension cable - try without using only charging cable direct to usb

3. paulb100

paulb100

just too add... I had an issue using an extension cable with a 4 way USB adapter, when using it; it just kept un-docking the sticks.....as mentioned, do away with the extension cable and see if it persists

and...just for the hell-of-it...use a USB 3.0 port for charging if possible (blue one / SS etc) as it allows for a higher Amp output (up to 900 mA) than USB 2.0 (500 mA) so will charge faster

4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    As a test see if it works plugged directly into the same Usb port the extension lead is in.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168626

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice