1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB external Drive case should all functions of the drive right?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamescricket, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jamescricket

jamescricket Thread Starter

I bought an external drive case almost 2 months ago, and was unable to install windows XP with it, the bios was set so it would be the first boot device, it booted and recognized windows XP but you could only get so far into the process of installing it, I vaguely remember getting to the point where you decide your disk partitions, but then some standard error (I know I should have written it down )

(both the external case and the CDRW were brand new)

So I ended up getting XP to install with the same disk drive hooked up to the IDE cable instead

didnt really know if it worked that time because it wasnt in the external case, or if it just happened to work for some other reason

so I just left the CDRW hooked up to the IDE cable, as I was really planning on getting a DVD drive to put into the case anyway, sort of a portable DVD player for computers, the way I figured it

but anway, Iv just now gotten around to buying an LG DVD RW, and put it in the external case ( wich is Manhatten brand ) and the computer recognizes it and all, as a USB DVD-RAM drive Device manager says it working and all that

but, it doesnt seem to recognize any disks I put in it, says the Disk is the wrong format when I try to watch a DVD, no matter what kind of disk I put in it, Iv tried to watch two DVDs on it, and it wont even let me make a data disk with the software bundled with it, you can get to about the last step, and the browse button, the one to decide what "Current Recorder" will be used to make the DVD data disk is empty, click on it but nothing drops down, and so the "Burn" button remains greyed out

and yes Im useing real 4.7g blank DVD-R :p , and the two DVD movies are factory, like what you would rent at the Video shop

the procedure works fine with the same software when I try to use my CD RW drive to burn a disk

I havent yet taken the obvious step of trying the DVD drive on an IDE cable " dont really want to cuz my case is full and its late, and I got work tommorow, and Im just lazy :D "

but just incase theres something I dont know about these external Cases, I want to ask if these cases are supposed to give the full functionality of the device inside, and allow you to do anything with it that you would if it were hooked to an IDE Cable

or if anyone have any easy answers before I devote hours to researching this stuff or unnecessarily return this case, (if theyll even take it back after this long)

actually Iv already done some reading, of the product manual that came on the software bundle disk, and I ran the standard windows troubleshooting step by step help thing that always yields such wonderfull results :rolleyes: , and got lost in some DVD literature on random googled web sites, but finding what your looking for on the web is like looking for a needle in a haystack, even if you know its there, and I just dont have that kind of attention span, nothing beats a straightforward human to human question)

-------

tried to edit the title of this thread to fix that mistake, but it wont change :rolleyes:

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The reason that Windows wouldn't boot from the external drive is well known, the USB controllers are reset during the boot process, and the boot fails. You can't run Windows from a USB disk.

As far as copying the movies, we don't assist in illegal copying.

3. kirby_t07

kirby_t07

Yeah check out my topic, its the same problem, you can run linux apparently.

4. jamescricket

wooah, hold it there johnwill, your pretty quick on the false accusations, I am not doing anything illegal

I bought this DVD RW so I could rent DVDs and watch them on my 19" monitor rather than replaceing an ancient, and recently deceased VCR, wich as far as I know is not illegal, and being able to store data on the large disks is a nice fringe benefit too, good for Saveing Video game files such as downloaded maps and mods wich are usually quite large and abundant, especially with my limited hard drive space

and I specifically pointed out that the 2 DVDs I tried in it are ""factory DVDs"" completly legal and paid for, (not by me but by someone around here, dont even know what family members or friends thereof own them), one is here I dont know who owns it, its called brothers or something, one of my brothers friends must have left it here, cant remember the name exactly and I dont see it lieing around now, and the other is the American pie 3 movie pack

and im not trying to boot from the USB drive, its not an external Hard disk case, but a 5.5" ?? whatever holds CDRW or DVD drives
    origionally I was trying to install windows XP from a CDRW in the external case, and could not get to or past the part where you choose your partition sizes

most recently, I am trying to work a DVD Drive in the external case

and the title is missing a word, it was supposed to be

USB external Drive case should >Have< all functions of the drive, right?

oh and johnwill, your sig indicates you know a little something about networking? dont suppose you could give me a little help on my thread in GAMES forum :eek:

5. JohnWill

Well, you're right, I did jump the gun on you, since you're not trying to copy them. :) I have watched DVD's from both of my home made external USB DVD cases, it shouldn't be an issue. I've also written a number of DVD's on them, also not an issue.

I confess, I haven't tried to install Windows from an external USB CD/DVD. There might be an issue there. From what I see in a search, it can be problematic.

If you have a networking issue, you should post it in the networking forum. :)

6. jamescricket

tried the DVD drive in on the IDE cable today, and it worked as its supposed to, plays DVD movies and backed up my brothers digital photoes/videos so I can clear up some hard disk space

but now I guess Iv got to see if I can get this extermal case replaced, it must be defective

by the way, what is the significance of the Master/Slave/Cable select jumper on the Disk drives ? if your motherboard didnt support Cable select, would you have to worry about setting only one Disk drive as Master?

I thought I noticed the DVD drive type changing in "My computer" when I was trying it in the external on diffrent jumper settings, it would be DVD RAM drive on Cable select, DVD ROM on Slave, and DVD R on Master, but these might just have been changing depending on what disks I was trying in it, cant even remember now

7. JohnWill

Most external cases want the drive set to master. If you use an 80 conductor IDE cable, the best way to jumper drives is all of them to cable select, the cable will then determine the master/slave relationship. If you are still using 40 conductor IDE cables, I'd replace them with 80 conductor cables, since they'll limit the speed of the DVD writing. :)

8. jamescricket

just an update,I brought it back, they tested it at the store while I waited at the desk, and confirmed that it was not recognizeing

so it was defective and they ordered me a replacement (y)

9. JohnWill

Thanks for the update. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433098

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice