1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB External Hard drive - no drive letter

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Solar One, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Solar One

Solar One Thread Starter

I purchased an external USB2 hard drive case (that has a power cable and USB output cable) and installed a 120GB Seagate drive. It seems like my laptop (running XP, USB1) will recognize the drive when I plug it in (as an USB Mass Storage device) but it does not give it a drive letter (like E) for me to access it. I have tried changing the Master, Slave, Cable Select jumper on the drive with no success. When I plug in a USB thumb drive, my laptop assigns a drive letter and I can access it via Windows Explorer with no problems, but with the 120 GB external drive, I have no luck? The drive shows up under the Control Panel.....Device Manager as a hard drive just under my laptop drive, but there is no way to store files on this external drive. Any suggestions?

2. gws226

gws226

Hello and welcome... You may need to configure the drive in winXP for it to be seen properly.

Go here...
    Control Panel---> adminstrative tools---> computer management---> disk management...

Does it see the hard there? I believe it will show up as Disk1... Select it and format it, you can also change the drive letter if you would like

Good luck,
    G

3. Solar One

Solar One Thread Starter

Thanks, but that does not work. The exernal drive is not identified at all, and there is only one drive identified, my C drive, and then there is D the CD-RW and that is it. I tried and moved the jumper from cable select to slave and nothing changed. Does the fact that my laptop only has a USB1 connection prevent the drive from being identified and being formatted?

4. Solar One

Solar One Thread Starter

I'll ask for further assistance!!
    Brand new drive, in a new USB-2 external enclosure...and three laptops (all with USB-1 only) "see" the drive when I plug it into the USB port, (and they all remind me that the drive will operate at a slower rate) but none of them will assign a drive letter to the external drive . I assume that the advice of gws226 is correct, I need to format the new drive, but I'm at a loss of how to get access to do that!
    Any suggestions?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/150644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice