1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB external Hard drive Not Recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frick584, Aug 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frick584

frick584 Thread Starter

Hello all! Wishing, praying, hoping for some help.

Fist My Hardware:

HP Pavilion a1630n
    Windows XP Home V.2002 SP3
    AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+
    2.73 GHx, 1.93 GB of RAM

USB External Hard Drive:
    Western Digital My Book 3.0 1TB

My issue:

I've bought the External Drive just over a month ago. I went to rip a DVD to a folder on the drive and noticed that the drive was not listed in my options. I then went into that drive to explore the contents and everything I'd had there previously did not show up. First instinct was to Restart Windows.
    Restarted but during process it would continually get stuck on the blue HP setup screen (in the bottom right corner were options for thing similar to this Computer would not respond to any command (F10, F12 n whatnot).
    Finally unplugged all USB devices and manually restarted computer and it booted up just fine. Plugged all USB devices, aside from the problem HD, and no problelm
    Plugged problem drive back in and got the "USB Device Not Recognized" warning

I've also plugged this same external drive into my laptop (running Vista) and get the exact same warning message as well... :(

Just wanting to know if:
    A: If I've lost all my data stored (bummer, lots of converted VHS tape files, still have the hard copies though)
    B:If there's a chance my data is still on drive, what can I do to get it working again?

Thanks for any help! Holler back any further info I may need to provide.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    If the drive isn't recognized on multiple PC's, there is a hardware fault with the drive.

If it's under warranty, have it serviced or replaced.

It's possible the HDD itself is still good, but the enclosure is faulty. In which case, you can remove the drive from the enclosure and connect to the PC internally, via a USB adapter, or in another enclosure. Note: opening the enclosure will VOID your warranty.

Live and learn. You should have at least one backup copy of all data that you don't want to lose.

3. frick584

frick584 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Would have loved to have been able to have the back up but the amount of files I had was simply too large for my other external drives :(

4. CJS23

CJS23

With the drive plugged in, Right Click on My Computer and go to Computer Management. Look at Disk Management and see if the disk appears as an unformatted volume if at all.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1063601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice