1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB External hard drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frog3764, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frog3764

frog3764 Thread Starter

Greetings to the Group - While copying files from the pc to the external hd, the power went out. Since then, the pc won't recognize the USB external hd, even though the USB works other applications fine. And it doesn't make any difference which port I use for the external hd, the pc won't find it. I ran the diskmgmt.msc program and it doesn't find the hd either. All I get is the little icon by the clock to "safely remove hardware". When the hd is on, the system won't run other applications, like a brower, the RUN program, Control Panel etc. What happened and how can I fix this? All help is appreciated.

Frog

2. winbob

winbob

Sounds like the Power Outage caused a surge that may have either damaged the HD, or the outage simply scrambled the drive's boot records/tables. The fact that the USB sockets recognize other devices implies no damage to them (the USB's).

The fact that the drive does not work or get recognized points to the drive itself...OR the controller circuitry in the external box.

My external drives are after-market enclosures and I can remove the drive(s) and put then internally in a PC. Can you do that to check the drive directly?

3. frog3764

frog3764 Thread Starter

I don't want to try changing out the hard drives. I will end up screwing it up. Is there any other way to check the hd? It does come out of the enclosure as I had to put it in when I got it. Previously when I was re-partitioning my hd (linux) my Partition Magic accessed the external hd, I guess just checking for all drives, but I wonder if did something then that didn't show up right away? I might not have used the hd between those two events.

4. winbob

winbob

I don't understand your hesitance, since you put the drive in yourself. :confused: That would tell you whether the problem is the drive, or the enclosure's circuitry.

Can't help you further without more info. :(

5. frog3764

frog3764 Thread Starter

I put the hd in the external case. It's the main hd in the pc I don't feel comfortable taking out. It looks like there is two screws on the oposite side of the hd from what I can see, and you might have to take all the case apart to get to the other side. That's what I don't want to tackle.

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Well, you don't have to take the main drive out, I think the exercise is to take the USB drive out of the external case and connect it as a slave to the internal IDE channels.

7. frog3764

frog3764 Thread Starter

Are you just saying to plug it in next to the internal hd? I think there's an extra plug there for it.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, just make sure the jumpering is correct. If this is a reasonably new computer, it'll probably be CS (Cable Select) for all devices on the cable.

9. frog3764

frog3764 Thread Starter

OK JohnWill - better tell me about jumping. I know where your talking about, but that's all. I already hooked up the hd to an extra plug I have (as a slave I guess) and the ribbon cable, but the system wouldn't finish booting.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Don't guess there are usually diagrams on top of the drive to show you jumper settings and the jumpers are between the flat wide ide cable and the 4 prong molex electric plug that plug into the drive. Each ide cable can only have 1 master and 1 slave so you need to see what both are jumpered as.

11. frog3764

frog3764 Thread Starter

Hey guys, thanks! I've determined that the hd has died a peaceful death. At least I know for sure that it's dead.

Frog

12. Rich-M

Rich-M

yes peaceful is better way to go!

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550249

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice