1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB External HDD not detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nazman, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nazman

nazman Thread Starter

I have an external USB Hard Disk Drive (HDD)

I have loads of data on it.

I was using win ra and extracted some files.

I then went up a directory to the root directory of my external USB Hard Disk Drive, and noticed some system information or system volume files, like an idiot i thought i'd not put them there so i deleted them, not when i plug my drive in it is not available, my system beeps to indicate it has detected an new device, however it is not shown in MY COMPUTER, not on Device manager,

Anyone got any idea on how i can fix this, and yes before anyone else mentions this i am aware it was pretty stupid to delete the file in the first place.

Many Thanks in advance.:confused:

2. Bigfella

Bigfella

Hi there should be some software out there to retrive partitions on the internet but I am not aware that you can rid your self of partitions by deleting files on the disk and if you can I am realy surprised windows actualy let you. Are you running a bata version.

This may be a little insulting but is it pluged in correctly?
    Is the hard disk (not the hd case) listed in the device manager?
    Have you tried turning it of at the switch and on again a few times? you have to wait for it but I find with mine that fixes it all the time.
    Have you moved your hard disk recently or bumped it?
    do the lights come on and if so do they flicker?
    Can you discribe the sound the hard disk makes when it starts up or record it?

After you answer these few questions I and others will be able to tell you whats wrong. I doubt it was the files you deleted but if it was and you don't mind loosing the files.

go to the control panal.
    click on administrative tools ( it may be called something else. it has lots of administrative tools in it so I thought It might be called that.) both vista and xp have this but you will have to switch to classic mode if you havent already done so.
    disk management is the program you want for making new partitions and its relatively simple to use. If you cant find a tutorial on the net for it and cant wing it you may ask me.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/649989

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice