USB Failure After Boot

MattScottTV

I previously bought a pc back in 2019 and it was all working correctly I bought some upgraded ram ( vengeance pro 16gb) and I installed it it booted fine the first time then when I restarted my pc all my USBS stopped responding after the bios screen I thought after reading a few online forms that I had fried the motherboard so I bought new fans and a ASUS Prime B450 plus motherboard and installed it all and nothing has changed I have tried many different things to try and sort the problem but I can’t sort it

I previously bought a pc back in 2019 and it was all working correctly I bought some upgraded ram ( vengeance pro 16gb) and I installed it it booted fine the first time then when I restarted my pc all my USBS stopped responding after the bios screen I thought after reading a few online forms that I had fried the motherboard so I bought new fans and a ASUS Prime B450 plus motherboard and installed it all and nothing has changed I have tried many different things to try and sort the problem but I can’t sort it
Hi MattScottTV, When purchasing memory modules, please be sure that the RAM type is compatible with the memory slots. If the wrong type of memory is installed it can cause extensive damage because the memory module was not compatible for the type of system you have.

Please try a memory scan to detect the correct memory modules for your system by visiting the site below and follow instructions if your able to get your computer up and running. If not, please keep in mind to run a memory module check first to ensure compatibility with your new hardware if you decide to purchase new hardware. Crucial Memory Check.

I don't think its possible to repair your computer if you fried the motherboard though. This could have been the result of ESD (Electro magnetic static discharge) caused by coming into contact with the gold connectors as well during the installation of RAM.

Last edited:
use new mobo, attach keyboard. mouse. 1 stick of ram, attach monitor to mobo hdmi. power up and see if it works.

MattScottTV

Hi MattScottTV, When purchasing memory modules, please be sure that the RAM type is compatible with the memory slots. If the wrong type of memory is installed it can cause extensive damage because the memory module was not compatible for the type of system you have.

Please try a memory scan to detect the correct memory modules for your system by visiting the site below and follow instructions if your able to get your computer up and running. If not, please keep in mind to run a memory module check first to ensure compatibility with your new hardware if you decide to purchase new hardware. Crucial Memory Check.

I don't think its possible to repair your computer if you fried the motherboard though. This could have been the result of ESD (Electro magnetic static discharge) caused by coming into contact with the gold connectors as well during the installation of RAM.
So me buying a new motherboard after frying the previous has made no difference please explain why a new motherboard would still not work

crjdriver

USB ports are fused and it is quite possible that you blew a fuse. High end boards like an Asus ROG board will have multiple fuses; low end boards like a dell, hp or mid-level boards will have a single fuse.
It is very easy to tell if you have a windows/driver problem OR a hardware problem.
Boot the system with any bootable usb ie windows install usb, linux live usb, acronis recovery usb, whatever. If it boots successfully, then you know the hardware is OK. If it fails to boot, you know you damaged the motherboard.

How to properly install or remove ram;
1 System OFF and pw cord removed from the pw supply
2 Press the ON button 2~3 times. This removes any residual charge from the pw supply capacitors
3 Pull the side cover and remove or install your ram. Be sure it is fully seated
4 Replace the side cover and the pw cord
5 Pw ON and make sure all is well

Modern boards have pw applied ALL of the time; even when OFF. Failure to follow the above can result in ESD to the motherboard.

Last edited:
So me buying a new motherboard after frying the previous has made no difference please explain why a new motherboard would still not work
Hi MattScottTV, I apologise for the confusion. What I meant to post is that it will work if you have a new motherboard but not on the one that was blown.

You just have to make sure that you read your manufactures specifications to provide the correct parts for your motherboard and run a crucial scan to determine the correct memory and follow crjdriver's instructions about properly seating memory modules to prevent ESD. In addition you should wear antistatic wrist bands and ground yourself on a flat hard surface. Please no not work on the motherboard in a carpeted room or while holding a Styrofoam cup because they can emit static and cause ESD.

Last edited:

crjdriver

FWIW I have built over 500 systems; never used a wrist band or strap. You just have to use some common sense. Do not do the build while wearing socks and standing on carpet. I do ground myself frequently by touching the screw holding on a light switch or pw plug cover [this screws into the metal box for the switch or pw plug and is grounded to the electrical service] This removes any static charge buildup on your body.

crjdriver

I just reread that. I should have said the screw holding on the faceplate provides a ground; NOT grounded to the electrical service. That would be shocking:eek::eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online