1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB File transfere?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lehatche, Jan 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

Could anyone tell me how to move files from a Win/98 computer to a new XP machine using a USB connection. I just do not want to remove the HDD from the old computer if I do not need too. Are there any special do or not do's ? I do not think the owner wants to move programs just files. While I am at it though could you move programs this way? Thanks in advance!

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

3. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! But I am now really confused. I have been searching around for other ideas or thoughts and suggestions and some places say if I connect with a standard USB (A to A) cable I could destroy both Motherboards! They say I need a special cable? The 2 USB cables I have are both A to A and the blister packs the came in show them as being connected to 2 computers and that is their purpose. Any other thoughts? Anyone ever do this?

4. timothye

timothye

i have never tried what your describing with the cables ..
    but my first question , what is the total size of the files you are wanting to transfer over to your XP machine ..
    if its not too much in size you could burn a DVD , or a CD with the files you want to transfer to the XP machine ..
    cheers T

5. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

I am not really sure of file size's, but I do not believe there is a CD or DVD burner present on the 98 machine.

6. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

I transfered files with a USB "cable" from a former C to my present one with no difficulty. The OSes were both "XPs," however. I went looking for the cable at an on-line vendor and found what I needed in the descriptions of the various types.
    {redoak}

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

8. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

Thank's REDOAK! I think I have figured out that as long as both has USB connections that a file transfer is possible between 98 and XP. The real question is if a standard USB (A to A)
    with no extra circuitry between the connectors just straight line would work, without damaging either computer.

9. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

Elvandil, Thanks for the link. I guess I will take the safe way out and take an external USB HDD with me and transfer the files that way. That is a lot of extra work but I can not afford to take that kind of chance and replace two computers.

10. timothye

timothye

lehatche ..
    if you go to my computer >and you will see your hard drive . you can right mouse click on your hard drive and select properties , then a window will pop up and tell you your disc space used and free .. if its not too much in size excluding the programs installed if its just pictures and work files ( word docs ) you could easily burn a cd to transfer the info this way ..
    cheers T

11. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

A straight A to A cable with no extra circuitry in the cable will not work and can damage one or both computers. Special cables for this purpose are available however.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!