1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Flash Cards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glazarev, Nov 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. glazarev

glazarev Thread Starter

I'm looking to buy a USB Flash Drive Card. I'm thinking about 256MB. Now do u guys have any suggestions on which cards are better? Is it worth to pay more for a brand name or not?

2. johnni

johnni

I doubt if the make matters - if it doesn't work you send it back. Of course only time would tell!
    I have a cheap, neat, 128mb drive by Leadtek which folds like a pocket knife and came with a neck strap, USB lead and a Win98 drivers disk. It is for USB2 but I use it quite well with USB1.

johnni

3. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab

I've had a 256MB Lexar Jumpdrive( (y) ) since they came out. They now have 512 and 1 GB versions(check Pricewatch.com or TigerDirect) that are reasonable. The ONLY problem I've ever had was a "glitch"(twice since I got it, both times dumping from a Toshiba laptop to flash) that corrupted files. This results in you having to "format" the flashdrive after you salvage any files you can. Other than that, I love it(carry pictures to relatives on vacations, music from home to work, get huge downloads over T-1 line to flash then carry home, etc.).

MAKE A BACKUPS of the op system if you get the "Secure" versions and NEVER have VERY IMPORTANT FILE only on the flash disk(in case of glitch).

NOTE: I found this site TODAY while researching problems on three different systems.
    Son's Gateway, Daughter's hand-me-down OLD Compaq, and the
    Toshiba mentioned above. Family sys-admin is one of my hats.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Buy on price, they're pretty much the same. I have a couple of Lexar JumpDrives, the 256mb and the 1gig one, but I have friends that use the no-name ones just as successfully. I wait for a rebate, my 1gig JumpDrive cost $44 after rebate.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/291808

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice