1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

usb flash drive doesnt fit?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by okeee, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

I just got a usb flash drive, but the strange thing is that it can't be insterted into a computer. Keyboard, mouse and all other can be inserted, but the usb flash drive not. It's seems a (very little) bit too big. But the package says that it is USB 2.0. How is this possible?

2. BG-0

BG-0

Does it look like a USB connection? There shouldn't be any other connection, bigger or smaller than USB...

3. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

yes, it looks exactly like a usb connection. Only difference is that it is a little bigger, about 0.5 mm ? higher.

4. BG-0

BG-0

What brand flash drive is it? How big? How much you spent on it?

5. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

The usb flash drive is from imation, "atom flash drive" 8 GB. It's very small.. I dont remember how much it costed but about average.

6. BG-0

BG-0

Yeah.. Well. Are you absolutely sure it absolutely doesn't fit in? Give it a good push, there aren't any USB looking connections bigger than standard...

Soz, I forgot to add a note about returning it, because only reason for it being too big would be a bad product...

7. win2kpro

win2kpro

If the drive is too big for the USB connector I sure wouldn't force it in the connector. You can damage both the connector and the drive. If it doesn't fit, simply take it back to your point of purchase.

8. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

well, i'm sure the usb flash drive doesn't fit on the pc. and other devices do fit without any problem. But the strange thing is, when I tried to connect to some laptop, it does fit!
    the connector on the laptop seems a bit bigger... so are there different USB 2.0 sizes.. or some that are bigger for some reason? Or is the usb flash drive just badly produced?

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

USB is a standard. One size. Some ports and devices fit tighter together than others. Perhaps you're inserting it at an angle. Or, yes, it may just be made poorly. With the low cost of flash drives, they don't exactly have the precision of a swiss-made watch.

10. okeee

okeee Thread Starter

ok, well i tried a few different angles, and of course just straight inserting, but it didn't fit. So can I conclude that the only problem must be the usb flash drive?

11. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Having never seen a USB device not fit in a USB port, I can't say for sure what the problem is. If every other USB device fits fine in the port, then the problem is the flash drive.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice