1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Flash drive I/O error

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rw30, Aug 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rw30

rw30 Thread Starter

i'm running win xp and made the stupid mistake of plugging in two usb flash drives. now one of them cannot be accessed at all but it works if i plug it into another computer so i know it isn't a problem with the flash drive iteself.

when i plug it in, windows takes a few minutes to detect it, slowing down the entire system. in My Computer, when i try to access it, the system slows down some more then an error message saying that an I/O error occurred.

i believe i need to uninstall the device somehow but every time i try to do that in Device Manager, the computer locks up and i end up having to reboot.

what should i do?

(another thing about this flash drive...it's one of those that is partitioned into a 1.44mb floppy drive and the rest as the "removable disk". i know that my computer has some sort of issue with floppy drives since it doesn't have one built in. so i use an external FDD and when i try to safely remove it i get a blue screen of death and reboot. before i had the above problem with the flash drive, i'd also get the b.s.o.d. when safely removing it. but that's another issue altogether)

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Unplug ALL USB devices.
    Open Device Manager.
    View, Show Hidden Devices.
    Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
    Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

3. rw30

rw30 Thread Starter

i tried all that exactly but it still didn't work. however, i remembered the System Restore tool and restored it to a few days ago. now it works fine.

but thanks for your help :]

4. riskasupport

riskasupport

Please help.
    I have a similar problem with an LG 256 MB Flash drive running under Windows 98 SE (pl don't advise an upgrade.. this is my office networked computer. I will have more other hassles by upgrading :( ).

I have removed and reinstalled the USB port drives and I can see no problems with them.

I have reinstalled the LG Win 98 USB drivers more than 3X.

The USB drives did work very well until a few days ago.

The USB works fine on my home computer running Win 2K

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268809

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice