1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB flash drive not recognized

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mooseo, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mooseo

mooseo Thread Starter

I have a problem with a USB thumb drive.

Machine is an old laptop, PII, running W2K. I have just done a complete re-install of the OS. I have a D-Link USB 2.0 PCMCIA card

When I plug the flash drive in, the computer recognizes it, goes through the usual "finding new hardware"... then I open My Computer, and it shows up as a removable disk. so far, so good.

When I open the disk, several things happen: first, it shows me the contents of the drive, and usually pauses long enough to let me select a file. Then I simultaneously get a "Sytem Settings Change" box "Windows 200 has finished installing new devices. You must restart..." and the "Unsafe Removal of Device" box, warning me that I unplugged a device without stopping it.

Following this double message, windows can no longer access the drive, claiming that it is not formatted and offering to format it. Sometimes, if I follow through with the format, it can see it again, but not always.

Any suggestions?

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You said you reformatted; did you use an install disk with sp4 already on it or did you install sp4 after the install?

If your disk did not have sp4 already, you will probably need a usb 2.0 driver for your system.

Win2k did not support usb 2.0 until either sp3 or sp4 [I cannot remember which one it was] Even after the sp is applied, you need a usb 2.0 driver UNLESS the sp was part of the install, then you do not need an extra driver.

As a check, go to device manager and see if there are any yellow marks or other problems in device manager.

3. mooseo

mooseo Thread Starter

thanks crjdriver,
    My original install did not have any sp on it. I added sp2 immediately after, but that is as far as I've gone. I was trying to get my network adapter working so I could download the rest of the updates, but that is when I hit this problem. Sounds like the simplest thing might be to download sp4 and a separate usb 2.0 driver, do a fresh install and get all that working before I plug in any devices.

Thanks,
    mike

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Download sp4 and make a slipstreamed installed CD. It really is a much better way to go; AND easier than trying to find the driver for your laptop.

5. mooseo

mooseo Thread Starter

Thanks crjdriver, sp4 seems to have fixed it.

Wish I'd known about slipstreamed install CDs a long time ago, it would have saved me hours on the 4 times I re-installed the OS this time alone (bad hard drive).

6. mooseo

mooseo Thread Starter

Hmm, or I thought it fixed it...

I plugged the flash drive in, move some files around ejected it, all good. Then I moved some new files onto it and plugged it into a different USB port (still on the aftermarket card) and got the same problem as before. After restarting and reformatting the card in this machine, I was able to move some files over, this time plugging into the built-in USB on the laptop.

At this point, it could be just a problem with the Dlink card... it is definitely working better.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/490894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice