USB flash drive problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

James41

I have several usb flash drives . One works perfectly every time (recognised ,reading and writing to) the second (same make ) is a bit inconsistent but the third new one rarely works and often freezes up the whole system.
Sometimes I even have to restart the computer tho clear the problem.
Will all three be trying to work with the same driver( Usb 2.0) supplied by XP ?
I don't understand what is going on when one of the drives works perfectly? When I first tried the new one the automatic installation process did not go through smoothly. Are these devices subject to variation due to their differing circuitry for different makes or is there confusion in the computer because they are not all the same make?
I can't even use the computer mangement menu in Control panel as the system freezes up! Are there any tips or tricks out there for perhaps formatting the flash drive before using it or something like that?
Just to add that they all work pefectly on my other computer running Windows ME .
Many thanks for any help you can give,
James

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Any standard USB mass storage should work without additional drivers. I have a driver parameter flush procedure that will attempt to give you a fresh start.

First step, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore. Create a restore point and name it something like "Before USB Fix". This is to bail you out if something goes wrong during the following process and makes things worse.

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

James41

John,
Thanks for the tip. I presume when you say double click on FIX.REG that means double click on the filename of that Notepad file (wherever they are stored?). I suppose I can choose the location for storing it in the normal way?

James

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Yep, just make sure it's stored as a .REG file, not a .TXT file.

I run all my systems with the option of hiding extensions disabled, since I find that "feature" very annoying with Windows. :)

James41

John,
I have the file saved as Fix.reg but when I double click it , it does not do anything except open again in Notepad.
I presume that I have to change it somehow on the "Open with" menu. If so what do I tell it to open with please?
I think I noticed that you gave the same advice to somebody else. Did you get any feedback from them as to whether it worked for them ?
James

James41

John, I right-clicked the file icon but "merge" doesn't seem to be one of the options, only open, send to,properties etc... Am I on the wrong menu somehow?

James

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!