1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Flash Drive problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Beaney, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Beaney

Beaney Thread Starter

over 2 months ago i bough a 2gb falsh drive and it worked fine no problem. i was able to use it in school and home fine. then my computer had melt down after melt down.

some how my mb had blown so i eneded up having to get another one and not 24 hours later the same thing happened. both were the same, asrock K7S41 but the usb worked fine. the i got an msi mobotherboard which the usb worked fine with but then something happened that (i dont think that it is blown because i have a diagnostics card which tells me its fine so i think its the cpu.

anyway i got bored of spending monbey on an one year old pc so i bought a new one and built in my slef. specs are in my profile or somewhere. the computer runs fine however my flash drive dont work no more and there are very important documents on it. whe i plugg it in the light comes one hich tells me its getting power. but there are no bleeps and it doesnt shoow up in windows. any ideas how to fix this

computer specs
    ------------------
    Aspire X-QPACK Black Case
    AMD 64 bit 4000+
    Ascrock 939NF4G
    80GB IDE HDD, 250GB SATA2
    8 x USB2.0 (4 via 2 headers)
    Windows XP Pro SP2

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First stop, try it on another computer. If the drive itself is dead, you're probably out of luck. If it work on the other computer, copy your documents off first. See my signature for advice on single copies of important files. ;)

3. 1ets

1ets

I don't know of this is your problem but..............

If you are running XP, you can damage the drive by removing it without clicking the "remove hardware safely" icon first.

4. JohnWill

Actually, while you can damage the contents if it's writing, you won't physically damage the drive. In addition, the default for XP is to disable caching on FLASH disks, or "Optimize for quick removal". In plain language, that means you can yank them out as long as they're not actively being accessed. :)

5. Beaney

Beaney Thread Starter

a while back i was able to use my latop and i actually had a backup of the data on there but my laptop went on a melt down aswell lol. i think the hdd was faulty caus ei cant even repair windows

now im setting up another pc to try and see if i cant egt it working

6. Beaney

Beaney Thread Starter

noap didnt works :(

edit
    i opened it up by taking off the case and i see one of the pins isnt reall soldersed could that be the problem

7. JohnWill

If it's really NOT soldered, that would be a problem. If you have the tools and skill, you should be able to solve that if it's the issue.

8. Beaney

Beaney Thread Starter

noap :(

is there anyway to get the data off it. i dont really care about the pen drive its just the data

9. JohnWill

You could plug it into an extension USB cable, lay it on a table, and press the connection together with a plastic tool. Have someone plug it in, and see if you can access it.

You could also get someone to solder it for you...

10. Beaney

Beaney Thread Starter

i was using a usb header and its was plugged in as far as it goes. do you actually mean get a usb cable and stip then end opf it and physically actact it to the pen drive connectionning the wires to the pend rive????

11. 1ets

1ets

I'm cerain that JohnWilll meant to plug it into a USB extension and then press the wire in the thumb drive that is loose to make a connection to see if it will work.

12. Beaney

Beaney Thread Starter

mabye i didnt make my self clear in the previous posts. i soldered the loss terminal but still nothing

If it's really NOT soldered, that would be a problem. If you have the tools and skill, you should be able to solve that if it's the issue.

noap

is there anyway to get the data off it. i dont really care about the pen drive its just the data

13. JohnWill

If there's nothing physically wrong, but it's an internal electrical issue, I doubt you'll get the data off without extraordinary (read expensive) measures.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491065

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice