USB flash drive support for Windows 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tinkerbell99

I have a new Windows XP computer that I want to transfer my data from my old computer Windows 98. I have tried using a USB 2.0 flash drive but it does not support Windows 98....only windows 98 SE... Can you tell me if there is a flash drive that does support windows 98? Any help is appreciated. ;)

not off the top of my head but a hub would cost about the same money. just network the two computers and transfer the files that way.

Tinkerbell99

My computers are not in the same room and I was told I could not network unless I had both machines in the same area.

You have to run a cable from the router/hub to each machine or spend a little more money on a wireless network.

Tinkerbell99

yep... I guess that is the answer that I have been trying to avoid. I bought 2 PNY attache drives thinking these would work...I was told '''' they work with any windows application even 98.."... but I have a hard time believing that there is no way around this problem other than networking or buying a cd/rom r/w.. but with all the time I have spent on this, I guess I should have done that to begin with....thanks for your input.

how much data are we talking about?

EDIT:

why not just remove the hard drive from the old computer and slave it to the new one. transfer it that way.

Tinkerbell99

All my databases,word and document files. Not that much but too big to
put on my floppy drive. I have a 'superdisk' drive that will hold the info, but my new computer does not....my only other solution is to download windows98 SE and spend the extra 100 bucks to upgrade my old machine... this seems like a waste if I won't be using it...
AND...ME---REMOVE HARD DRIVE??? yOU must be kidding... I'll never get out of this room! :eek:

if its not too big then just email it to yourself and download it on the other computer.

Hard drives are easy lol. just open the case, unplug the cables, unscrew the drive itself, connect it to the cables in the other machine. No need to even mount it since its temporary. here is a link to the instructions. We can talk you through it fairly easily.

I have a fujifilm 128 meg drive 2.0 usb drive that I bought maybe 8 months ago that came with a cd to enable it to work with windows 98

What is the make and model and size of your flash drive, one of use will be able to find the Win 98 driver for it I'm sure, actually if you want to look yourself I'll be it'll be under downloads on that devices manufacturer website.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts