USB flash drive won't transfer files larger than 30 gb

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Ss87

Hi, my 128 gb USB flash drive that I use to transfer pkg files to my ps4 has this weird problem of never installing anything larger then 31.6 gb, and yes that's exactly where it stops no matter whatever file it is and from whichever source it comes from.
The USB is a Kingston 3.0 and yes I have formatted it to exfat.
I don't have another USB large enough to test whether this happens on all USBs but I do know an external HDD works just fine with my ps4.
If anyone knows any fix or solution for this then please do share.

1) Are you sure it is a 128GB USB flash drive, or is it possibly fake ... a 32GB that has been relabeled as 128GB?

2) Same problem if you format it as NTFS (instead of exFAT)?

Ss87

[QUOTE
1) Are you sure it is a 128GB USB flash drive, or is it possibly fake ... a 32GB that has been relabeled as 128GB?

2) Same problem if you format it as NTFS (instead of exFAT)?
1) No no size is not an issue I have copied files as large as 70gb in it. Problem arises when I try to transfer files to the ps4, that's where it always stops at 31.6 gigs.

2) I have never tried it on NTFS as the ps4 only recognises exfat or fat32.

Ss87

Download and run this tool
https://h2testw.en.lo4d.com/windows

It will tell you the actual size of the USB stick.
Thanks, will try this. But as I mentioned in the previous reply the usb really is 128gb. It just doesn't work properly with a ps4.
Infact a tried it again just to confirm. I copied a 40gb pkg file of final fantasy xv on it and it yet again stopped transferring around 31gb on the ps4.
But the thing is, my ps4 is working fine. It transfers n installs files faultlessly with an external HDD. Its the USB that's only having this issue.
I do however suspect that it might not be a 3.0 because it never gives me speeds above 9 to 11 Mbps. It does have that blue connector but still is there any way to confirm it?

Oddba11

Jim
Sounds like a PS4 issue, not a USB stick issue.

You stated the files are on the USB already, but when transferring to the PS4 they stop. As noted above, most likely not enough storage space or some other limitation of the PS4.

Ss87

Sounds like a PS4 issue, not a USB stick issue.

You stated the files are on the USB already, but when transferring to the PS4 they stop. As noted above, most likely not enough storage space or some other limitation of the PS4.
I always free up space on my ps4 before installing large files otherwise the console doesn't even start the transfer stating there's not enough space.
However here the installation process starts but stops always after the 31 gb mark. And since other external hard drives work fine with the console I don't see how it could be the ps4 malfunctioning.
I was just hoping to find if anybody else has had such instances where the USB wouldn't properly transfer files and whether there's a fix for it.
But thank you for your reply. And everybody else for that matter.

managed

Allan
If the Usb stick could be a clever fake, it will seem to be 128GB but could only be 32GB.

When a file larger than 32GB is saved onto a fake it actually copies 32GB then overwrites the start of the space with the rest of the file, but this is hidden from the user.

So it could be that the stick is only storing 32GB and that's why the PS4 stops at that amount.
You can use the utility from Liz's link in post #3 to find the true capacity of the Usb stick.

Ss87

If the Usb stick could be a clever fake, it will seem to be 128GB but could only be 32GB.

When a file larger than 32GB is saved onto a fake it actually copies 32GB then overwrites the start of the space with the rest of the file, but this is hidden from the user.

So it could be that the stick is only storing 32GB and that's why the PS4 stops at that amount.
You can use the utility from Liz's link in post #3 to find the true capacity of the Usb stick.
Yes that actually turned out to be the case. Thank you so much Allan for so eloquently explaining it because I was adamant that the usb is storing more than 32GB so how could it be a fake.
I ran the tool Liz suggested and let it fill out the usb to around 40Gb and then verified to see what happens around the 30GB mark. Here's what the result showed:

Warning: Only 42072 of 127994 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
29.2 GByte OK (61422688 sectors)
11.7 GByte DATA LOST (24740768 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
11.7 GByte corrupted (24740768 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x000000075273c000
Expected: 0x000000075273c000
Found: 0xffffffffffffffff
H2testw version 1.3
Reading speed: 16.5 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

This feels like such a relief coz I'd rather have a defective usb than a malfunctioning ps4. I'll be writing to the online store where I bought this thing for so shamelessly ripping me off but since its way past their return window I'm not keeping my hopes up.
Nevertheless thank you for your help Allan and everybody else who chipped in.

plodr

Liz
Best to test any USB stick as soon as you purchase it. If it is fake, contact the seller and complain and get your money back.

managed

Allan
I'm sorry it turned out to be a fake but as you said that's better than a PS4 problem.

If you contact the seller be polite and explain what happened and they might give you a refund.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online