1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB flash drive works in other PC's, just not in mine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by DexterDave, Feb 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DexterDave

DexterDave Thread Starter

Hi All

I have a flash drive. It works great in ANY PC except mine - It picks up the USB drive but shows it as if it has a raw file format - cannot open the flash drive but it shows up on my comp. Now you might think my PC it the problem, which it probably is, but all other USB hardware (including OTHER flash drives) works fine on my PC. Why does my PC not detect it properly? Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. rainforest123

rainforest123

D D:
    Please run this forum's system info utility & post the results.
    http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Valuable_links

Please provide the brand, model & model # of computer or motherboard.

Please provide a screen shot of Device Manger, with view set to display hidden items, of the USB section.
    Snipping tool tutorial
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Use-Snipping-Tool-to-capture-screen-shots

Return here.
    use "go advanced"
    "manage attachments"
    browse
    upload
    close window
    "submit reply"

When did hte problem begin?

Can you relate the onset to the installation or removal of hardware or software; an update, to W7 perhaps?

RF123

3. rainforest123

rainforest123

Attached Files:

4. DexterDave

Hi rainforest. Thank you for your answer. Here is my system info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9400 @ 2.66GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 4095 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275, 1792 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 99898 MB, Free - 10937 MB; D: Total - 38154 MB, Free - 7724 MB; E: Total - 346938 MB, Free - 10473 MB; L: Total - 9 MB, Free - 4 MB; Z: Total - 99 MB, Free - 35 MB;
    Motherboard: MSI, G41M-P33 (MS-7592)
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Unfortunately I cannot make a snapshot of Device MGR, since the flash drive is in another PC - I am formatting it. No this problem is intermittent - Sometimes the USB flash drive works sometimes it does not. Did not have a distinct onset point as you refer to. What is strange that this is an isolated case - USB drive only gives problems on my PC, and other USB devices works fine on my PC

Any other info you want?

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

I have a USB Flash drive that only works sometimes. When I jiggle it, sometimes it makes a connection and the LED light flashes then. Something might be wrong with the flash drive or the connector jack on the PC - I don't know. I'm going to buy a new one. Also, all my other USB drives work without a problem on the same jack.

6. rainforest123

rainforest123

The screen shots. Do your best. ;) We will do our best to help you. ;)
    (y)

What are you formatting; the flash drive; the problem computer; other?

You could create the screen shots, email them to yourself.

You could post them from the problem computer.

Intermittent problems sure could be as l l notes. Intermittent problems are frequently, > 90% of the time, hardware related.

If the problem is intermittent, how can you be certain that when you connect the flash drive to a different computer that you have been fortunate?

The more information you provide, the sooner can we help you solve your problem.

RF123

7. DexterDave

@rainforest: Yes I tired it in all the usb ports. I formatted the USB flash drive(the one in question) like the following:

diskpart>clean all

diskpart>create partition primary

diskpart>select partition 1

diskpart>active

diskpart>format fs=fat32

Now I put in in my 'problem' PC again and same result - It picks it up in the system tray (other words I am able to safely remove it) but it tells me that the file system is unknown.

The drive did format correctly.

BTW - I did do my CompTIA A+ and I'm aware of the basic troubleshooting techniques. THis one is tricky for me since this is the first time somethinglike this has happened to me ans what is strange about it is that it works on other PC's, just not mine, and my PC gears well with any other usb device...Don't understand that...

8. rainforest123

rainforest123

D D;
    Thanks.

I am unfamiliar with that format method.

You are ahead of me with CompTIA A+! Congratulations.

Is there anything in the event viewer regarding the USB drive, at the time you connect the USB drive to the computer?

Have you other flash drives that you connect to the problem computer?

Please provide the brand, model & model # of the flash drive.

RF123

9. DexterDave

Thank you RF. The problem is only intermittent on my PC. For example. I connected the drive to my PC and it didn't even show up in Disk Management. However it did show up in my computer and I was able to remove it safely...File system was 'unknown'. The event viewer said this: An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk3\DR5 during a paging operation.

Now I unplugged it from Port X, and put it into Port Y. Same story. BUT when I put it back into Port X again, it works fine, but now here is another strange part: In Disk Management it shows up as a RAW formatted disk (I did refresh). But in My Comp it shows FAT32...???

SO I guess I can use it now, until I plug it out and in again - it will probably scold me again

It is a CruzerBlade 15GB

10. DexterDave

Her is the DSK MGMT screenshot

[​IMG]

11. rainforest123

rainforest123

I have no clue. I wish that I knew.

Have you been through these steps?
    http://www.techspot.com/community/t...ard-drive-fix-unassigned-drive-letter.122125/

Have you considered a low level format?
    http://www.centon.com/support/resou...-usb-drives-being-reported-as-write-protected

Are the other computers running the same version of W7?

15 or 16 GB?

Finally
    http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-603549-sandisk-cruzer-blade-16gb-not-recognising

RF123

12. rainforest123

rainforest123

Thanks for the screen shot.

Try formatting it in Disk Management.

RF123

13. DexterDave

Thans for all you help RF. Really appreciate. You should do your A+, you'll ace it! I am formatting it now in DSK MGMT. If it still gives me issues, I will try the LLF. Will keep you posted...

14. rainforest123

rainforest123

D D:
    You are welcome.

Thanks for the compliment.

Please keep us posted.

RF123

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089807

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice