1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Emtronics, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emtronics

Emtronics Thread Starter

Fairly new system, 754 socket AMD 64 2800+ on an Asus K8V SE Deluxe motherboard, GIG of RAM.....using IDE HD with 2 ROMs on secondary. XP Pro SP2

Problem: USB ports on back (4) and the ones plugged into the motherboard via a cable that came with the board (4) installed in back also. These ports work perfectly with an iPod, Sony card reader, 2 different HP Printers, and even an USB reader for reading micro and mini chips. But, plug any flash drive into any USB and the computer goes nuts.

One error: Device not recognized. Another: The device is set up and ready for use. Flash drive is seen in My Computer with an assigned letter. When transferring a simple .doc or anything, error is; Device is in Use or Can not write to device. Remove the flash and insert it again, the file that could not be written to it is there! Try removing the file and you get; Can not move, Device is in use. This makes no sense.

All flash drives work perfectly on other house computer (XP Home SP2) and laptop (XP Pro SP2)

I have removed all USB related items in Device Manager. Updated the 4 in 1 VIA drivers and the VIA USB drivers from VIA. They are newer than the drivers at Asus. The BIOS is as new as it gets except there is a Beta version out. I don't see any reason to flash to that version.

I can not understand why the USB's seem to work with any other device, but not with 3 different flash drives. This hampers work when transferring data from this computer to the laptop. I am wondering if security features of XP Pro have anything to do with this as this computer is password protected. This is a clean system with a very good a/v. (eTrust) Short of installing an PCI 2.0 USB card to see if that works, I am at a loss. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. James41

James41

If it helps at all with the solution which someone might give us, I have a very similar problem . The point I'm adding is that both of my flash drives work fine on my second computer which runs Windows ME.
    One drive is recognised on XP but cannot be written to and can sometimes be read. The other is recognised for a few seconds and then crashes the computer completely.
    The same port will accept a card reader and a scanner.
    Sorry it's no solution but perhaps the extra information might suggest an answer to somebody.
    I wonder if trying to use the flash drive while the scanner is still plugged in (4 USB2 ports in total) is relevant. Also I think Windows ME may only be USB1.
    James

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483918

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice