1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

USB Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zimmerbrad, Feb 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zimmerbrad

Zimmerbrad Thread Starter

Here's the deal. 1gb USB flash drive. I periodically add/remove photos to it from my home machine, and often use it for work. At work this morning, plugged in my USB DVD-RW into a previously unused port and windows (xp professional) tells me it has malfunctioned. There is no option to eject it so I shut down the computer before removing it (better than just yanking it). After turning the computer back on, plugged it into a different port and works fine.
    Decided to test port again, this time with my USB flash drive. Again, windows tells me it has malfunctioned, and again there is no option to eject it. Shut-down and remove. Try it in a different port and nothing. No sign of life. Try it in original port that malfunctioned again. Nothing.
    PLEASE PLEASE OH PLEASE help me! I had some very important photos on there. I don't really care about the device, i can buy a new one no probs, but is there ANYTHING AT ALL i can do about my files? I don't have any options because it doesn't even know when it is plugged in. I've also tried two other PCs and still nothing. I am stressing to the extreme right now...

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What was the point of testing with your only copy of important data? :confused:

Did you try the FLASH drive on another computer?

3. Zimmerbrad

Yeah I've tried on two other machines and it shows no sign of life on either of them.

4. JohnWill

Well, if it doesn't even get recognized in any way, it's probably gone. There's nothing you can do as far as data recovery unless the hardware is at least recognized.

5. Zimmerbrad

Just what I feared. Bugger. Oh well, thanks dude, I guess I've got no choice but to forget about it.

Cheers.

6. guitar

guitar Banned

make sure you haven't locked it mine has tiny switch on side

7. JohnWill

That would just make it read only, not make it disappear. ;)

8. guitar

guitar Banned

oops i was tired:D

9. seahawk

seahawk

I have a similar problem. I just got done copying a file to my flash drive and went to remove it safely and it told me to try again later. Three different times. So I shut off the machine and removed it and now either of my two machines do not recognize any more. What gives with something talked up to be so good and safe? I might as well use floppies or my zip drive again!

10. JohnWill

Hard to say what happened. If they don't see it at all, even in Device Manager, my guess is that it simply died.

11. seahawk

seahawk

JohnWill,
    Thanks for your help. I should have gotten back to you sooner. I've tried every conceivable way I know along with your suggestion and the drive exists in body but not spirit. I am disappointed in this technology with the learning curve continuing as to its limitations.
    Convenience vs. reliability ???????
    Thanks again,
    seahawk

12. JohnWill

Any data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about. ;)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the upper right of the screen.© :)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543873

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice